Bummed..didn't know about the whole pullet egg thing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Aug 11, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I have a large staggered hatch in the bator at the moment. Most bought or "donated" eggs from others but a few of my own hens' eggs mixed in. I was watching one egg in particular: an egg from a pullet of mine (I didn't know about the whole don't hatch pullet eggs thing). All has been going well. The egg was developing perfectly. I was especially excited because the mother is a barred rock and the daddy is a cochin ( I want a barred cochin dernit) and hatching day came! And went. When it was two days late and all the others due at the same time were hatched I candled it and saw no movement. Cracked it open and found a perfectly formed, complete with yolk absorbed, barred cochin baby. : ( What went wrong? No shrink wrapping... Just a dead gorgeous baby... bummed now.

2. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I don't know about yours but my pullets shells are very hard. I don't think a chic could pip. I mean I can hold it up over my head and drop it on a rock and it won't crack. Maybe it just couldn't pip?

3. ...I was watching one egg in particular: an egg from a pullet of mine (I didn't know about the whole don't hatch pullet eggs thing). All has been going well...

Hi! I'm sorry, it can be a disappointment. I get excited and set pullet-eggs here and it rarely ends well (and I do know better).
    The good thing is the next set
    will be better .
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

4. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Oh no [​IMG] I've had a few lately got to hatch date but just never did so annoying, at least you have the others [​IMG]

5. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    oh geez I had no idea there was an issue hatching pullet eggs. I currently have 6 in my bator that I just put in the last day or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by