Bummed...mail order chicks DOA

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickiBoom, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ChickiBoom

ChickiBoom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2012
    North Dakota
    So one of the shipping hubs apparently doesn't think it's important to bring boxes that say LIVE ANIMALS inside when it's below zero. I'm so bummed. We have one survivor. It's name is officially Tough Guy. Not sure if it's a hen or roo, but it's doing fine.

So is this loner going to go crazy all by himself? It will be at least a week before I can get more chicks, and then I'll have to risk shipping them though the same hub. What to do?there are no local chicks available for a couple months yet.

2. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    I dont know where you ordered from but you may be lucky enough some breeders will replace some chicks on a freak accident like that...
    Id call the hub and at least bring it to their attention.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Set the chick up with a plush toy for company

4. ChickiBoom

ChickiBoom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2012
    North Dakota
    I got them for My Pet Chicken. They are going to replace them. The customer service rep was so nice. She was so sad for me!

I do plan on calling the hub and chewing them out a little. They totally didn't follow protocol. They didn't even scan in their arrival at their location, which means they just left them outside to freeze...poor babies.

5. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    I do it when adding the first hatched chick into the brooder waiting on his or her pals to hatch

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

MPC normally uses Meyer. Shipping chicks in the dead of winter is risky business. I've no idea why the hatcheries take orders in December through February. Too many of these reports posted lately.

Sorry for you loss. It's just tough stuff.

I don't honestly think the PO gives any special treatment, quite honestly. The trucks aren't heated. A little heating pad and fellow chicks for body heat simply isn't enough when the temps are night are bitter cold.

7. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    I'm so sorry, darn mail man. Almost the same thing happened to me, but got mine from Ideal (replacement chicks all came alive and healthy today!). My one survivor has done really well being alone, just make sure to pay your chick lots of attention... also, put a stuffed animal, like everyone said, and a mirror in with him and he should do just fine. I hope all goes well! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by