Bummer, eggs not fertile

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coolchickens, Feb 17, 2009.

1. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, so today is day 11 of my Cochin setting 24/7 on 8 eggs. I tried to candle at day 4 but really could not see anything so today could not stand it and went out and candled them. Nothing!!! I'm thinking my Cochin roos. who just started breeding is not getting the job done right yet or they both have too many feathers to accomplish it. I'm really bummed out! Darn. I'm thinking of adding baby chicks under her as she is setting anyway and the feed store has some Plym Rocks & golden laced Wyandottes coming in Thurs. Do you think if its not at the 21 days of setting, a hen will accept chicks? Next wk's order doesn't have the kind I want. She accepted 2 last hatch but I added them while she was hatching the others. Any ideas? [​IMG]

2. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    I have heard that you need to do a 'breeding clip' on the hens and the roos for cochins to help the fetility rate.

We've had mixed results trying to slip chicks under a hen. It mostly doesn't work for us.

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had good luck sticking chicks under broodies during the night. I've never done it quite that early in a hatch, but I've done it at about day 16 and it worked fine. Just depends on your particular hen.

That's a bummer about your eggs. Sounds like you need to sit your roos down and have a little chat with them. Better luck with the next batch! [​IMG]

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with skeet. Doo it at night for best results. Never done it that early either. Has a lot to do with the individual.

Lots of folkes with breeds with big fuzzy butts trim feathers around the vent for the event. Some feed suppliers offer a special blend for this also.

5. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    darn! sorry about your eggs. [​IMG]
    i hope u have a better hatch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by