Bump on chicks shoulder (tumor)?

Dawnjanell

Songster
5 Years
Feb 3, 2018
Oregon (Lane County)
I'm worried about my 4 week old Exchequer Leghorn. She has had bulgy crop off and on but this last week or so It seems to be constant and getting larger. I brought all 4 chicks in tonight so I could feed them treats, bond and check them out and discovered her bulge is visible from behind and looks tumorish. Any ideas? Poor thing is a sweetheart but smaller, and slower then the rest.
IMG_20180325_203835.jpg
IMG_20180325_204940.jpg IMG_20180325_205021.jpg IMG_20180325_205034.jpg IMG_20180325_205032.jpg

Sometimes you can see the crop bulge from behind in chicks since the downy/new feathers don't cover much. I would check to make sure the crop is emptying overnight (full at night/empty first thing in the morning before eating/drinking).

IF your chicks still are using heat and you are using a lamp, it will be hard to check crop function properly, so check the crop, take out food/water for a few hours, then re-check to see if it has reduced in size.

Also making chick grit (crushed granite) available free choice is never a bad idea, even if your chicks are only eating chick starter.

Thank you no heat lights so I will check it first thing tomorrow. I stopped giving my hens grit years ago since they have a 15'x60' area all their own and then get free range on 1/2 acre on occasions. Was under the impression they will get what they need naturally.

Thank you no heat lights so I will check it first thing tomorrow. I stopped giving my hens grit years ago since they have a 15'x60' area all their own and then get free range on 1/2 acre on occasions. Was under the impression they will get what they need naturally.

Yes, do check your chick in the morning.
As for grit, if your flock free ranges, they may well find a suitable source of grit in the soil.

Back
Top Bottom