bump on eye, steriod cream not working! HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by foxypoproxy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    HI,

Long story short,

My pet Japanese bantam Sakura has been having an eye issue. Shes about 4 months old.
    I first thought she was pecked on the skin of her eye and it would heal up but then i noticed her skin around her eyes in general was red and puffy.
    I brought her to the vet and he proscribed her tetracycline and neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and dexamethasone ophthalmic oinment (a steroid cream).
    Since we have been putting this cream in her eye it only seems to irritate it more.
    "Her peck bump" popped and alittle blood and puss came out.
    Her face if very red and irritated.
    I feel so bad like i'm actually making the problem worse.
    Today i looked at her again and her other eye now has a bump and now i think its no long "peck marks" im seeing (because we isolated her) and probably fowl pox?
    I ruled out fowl pox in the beginning because she only had one bump and no break out anywhere else.
    Should i continue treatment?

Here are some pictures of her eye (it was hard to get a good picture because she kept moving:
    good eye:
    [​IMG]

bad eye:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    ask the vet for baytril...this works. I have seen eyes like this with the chronic upper respiratory diseases. you can warm compress the eye and use the vet rx poultry remedy, but the baytril will work on this on a matter of a few days

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Well i have used baytril on one of my other chickens before.
    But we didn't think this is an upper respiratory infection because she doesn't have any other symptoms like that.
    Its just her eye and face issue.
    She can open it about half way.

here are some pictures of the eye today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it looks even worse, more swollen and bumpy

also the place we got her from said there chickens had an issue with fowl pox too

oh and her eye also bubbles when its irritated

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by