Bump On Hen’s Eye

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Hello, i have 8 hens that are 3 and a half years old. I noticed a couple days ago that my Easter Egger has a bump on her eye, on the top half there’s a bump the same color as her face, and her eye is still open. The bump used to be smaller but it’s gotten larger which concerns me. I’m pretty sure she can see out of it. She does not appear to be in any pain and is acting as she usually does. I can’t attach a picture right now but does anyone have any idea what’s going on? A couple days ago i got a tick off of one of the other hens faces, and i’ve been letting them roam farther out recently. Could this be an infection from a tick or something? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I couldn’t get the picture today, but i found a tick right above the bump. Maybe this was causing an inflammation? I’ll give it a couple days and see if anything changes because she’s still acting normally.
I'm glad you found the tick! You may want to check her and the others over really well to see if they have any more. Dusting or spraying your birds with Permethrin may be needed to help control the ticks if you find more.

For the eye, hopefully the swelling will go down. I would dab a little triple antibiotic ointment on the place where you removed the tick.

Keep us posted.

I couldn’t get the picture today, but i found a tick right above the bump. Maybe this was causing an inflammation? I’ll give it a couple days and see if anything changes because she’s still acting normally.

Could be. Have you touched it? Does it feel hot, hard, or squishy? How big is it relative to her eyelid?
She wouldn’t stop moving, sorry for the blurry pics. It feels squishy and not hot. She didn’t seem to react to it being touched, but she was squirming around a lot so it was hard to tell. It appears that there are those “feather hairs” growing on it, you know the ones that grow on their face normally? I don’t know how to describe it, but they’re short feathers that grow on their faces.

Attachments

• B57E8BD5-4F33-48B5-B0D7-6B53F271C3BD.jpeg
    B57E8BD5-4F33-48B5-B0D7-6B53F271C3BD.jpeg
    533.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 7F25F795-EA8D-4C58-B896-A4C67092BD15.jpeg
    7F25F795-EA8D-4C58-B896-A4C67092BD15.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 6
I can't say I've ever seen that before. I wonder if they can get warts? Does the red part around her eye seem swollen to you? It looks swollen in the pic.

Back
Top Bottom