Bump on leg

Zenthehen10

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2021
*update: the bump ended up being a piece of poop stuck to her feathers but she is not able to stand up or walk. I propped her up to look at her feet and legs. She was able to bear weight on both legs and they seemed to move fine but only when I supported her. I don’t see anything abnormal on her legs or feet and she seems alert just unable to move. She is about 4 months old for reference.
We noticed this on my Easter egg hen’s leg this morning. She is unable to walk very far and is lethargic. She was completely fine yesterday and running around her happy normal self. Is this scaly leg or something else?
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• C4631337-2078-4181-86C2-BF732834D269.jpeg
    C4631337-2078-4181-86C2-BF732834D269.jpeg
    654.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. How old is she? Can you part the feathers and get a closer shot? It looks like it could be an impacted feather cyst or a tumor. Tumors can be from viruses, such as Mareks or leukosis, but also other types can be normally found on chickens. Sometimes you can disinfect the skin and use a sterilized needle to probe underneath a cyst to see if an inpacted feather is underneath.

Welcome to BYC. How old is she? Can you part the feathers and get a closer shot? It looks like it could be an impacted feather cyst or a tumor. Tumors can be from viruses, such as Mareks or leukosis, but also other types can be normally found on chickens. Sometimes you can disinfect the skin and use a sterilized needle to probe underneath a cyst to see if an inpacted feather is underneath.
Hello, thank you for the reply. My daughter had actually sent me that picture while I was out, and I just got home to find that it was actually a small piece of poop attached to her feathers, but she is not moving. I have checked her over and propped her up to walk. Her legs and feet are clean and move fine when I propped her up. But she is unable to hold herself up to move on her own. She is young only about 4 months and has not layed eggs yet. Could this be her gearing up to lay eggs? She looks alert but physically lethargic

Carmella is standing today with support but she still is unable to walk on her own. I see a little red spot on her foot but It could have been there before. I’ve only had her since late June and as a first time chicken owner I’m not sure what to be looking at for injury. I gave her some pieces of cooked fish today and vitamin supplements for an immunity booster. . I can’t see anything noticeably wrong with her feet or legs . She doesn’t wince when I touch them either. There is small red bump on the outside of her foot that I noticed today. Could this be bumble foot or just a scratch?

Attachments

• DC6DBB37-DA02-4063-8C6B-E16D44786DFB.jpeg
    DC6DBB37-DA02-4063-8C6B-E16D44786DFB.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom