1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bumps and lesions on baby chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by slsmith, Aug 8, 2014.

1. slsmith

slsmith New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    My cochin bantam hatched 5 eggs 3 1/2 weeks ago. They were all healthy and looked perfect. We live in south Texas and low temperatures were low 70's so we kept them in a dog crate with the hen outside under a roof to protect from sun and weather. About 1 week old the hen's head started looking bleached out, motley, sick and the chicks started breaking out in big bumps at the beginning of the beak and some had lesion looking things around the eyes. We moved them out to a small fenced area with crate for nesting in a partly sunny location. I dusted them in the red earth product and their crate. I put anti-biotic salve on bumps. The hen got well quickly, but the chicks do not improve. Have any idea what caused this? and if there is a cure? The chick whose eyes got covered with it died this a.m.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by