bumps on beaks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sstielst, Sep 7, 2008.

1. sstielst

sstielst Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2008
    Hi-I have four 4-week old chicks and all of them have grown big bumps on their beaks. I'm new to raising chickens and don't know whether or not this is normal or if they are sick. One of our chicks died a couple of days ago (I'm not sure from what--just got listless and sort of wheezy, and in fact another one is also acting like that...).

Are these bumps normal? Do they sometimes bleed (2 of mine have)?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insight!

P.S. I figured out how to add photos. Thanks!

Sorrel
    [[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Do you have a picture of the bumps? It could be a number of things.

3. lovinthechickens

lovinthechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    Oh wow, those dont look too good.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    No idea... *bump*

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    i believe that is fowl pox

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I just looked up fowl pox on google and foudn lots of pics that appear to match yours.

[​IMG]

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Where did you get these chicks? I would definitely notify them of the problem. Poor babies. [​IMG]

Jody

8. sstielst

sstielst Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2008
    Thanks to all of you for the suggestion of fowl pox. If that's what it is, does anybody know what the prognosis is likely to be, both in terms of whether they'll live and whether they'll be okay at egg-laying?

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have never experienced it, but from what I am reading it does sound like they can recover and not be carriers. Fowl pox is typically transmitted by mosquitos and if it is common in your area, you may want to vaccinate for it. Here is some more info.

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/disviral.htm

Jody

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

That is fowl pox and I've dealt with it a few times. It sucks but it's not as bad as I've seen.
    First off, if you have other chickens, make sure you do not introduce the fowl pox to the other birds. Keep these chicks away from other chickens and wash your hands before tending to other birds.
    What's going to happen is they are going to pop and puss, and you'll have to keep some sort of ointment on it to keep the scabs from becoming too uncomfortable. I use Bag Balm mixed with something called Corona (it is used on horses) but just Bag Balm is fine. Even Vasoline would work, but the Bag Balm has some soothing medication in it. Keep the pox moist and make sure the chicks are eating and drinking.
    Also, if the pox spreads to their eyes, that is a whole 'nother monster. You'd have to hand feed/water them since they probably won't be able to see well enough to eat and drink.
    Another thing... If you can keep them inside in a brooder, that would be best. Flies and other bugs can spread the fowl pox to other birds or reintroduce the pox to these little guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by