bumps on chicken legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by swamperkk, Aug 30, 2014.

1. swamperkk

swamperkk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    i have red jungle fowl,i have a few with bumbs on their legs never saw that before could it be mosquitos? it made a sore i will have to take pic of this and post it

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Bumps? Not upturned Scales? Is on the foot pad because if it is it's most like bumblefoot. Yes it's possible for mosquitos to bite chickens but there might be a risk of West Nile Syndrome. But research points to chickens actually being able to be immune to that disease.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Fowl pox virus due to mosquitos can cause bumps/nodules on the legs. If that's what it is, it'll run its course and it'll go away on its own in time.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    It could be to things: Scaly Leg Mites or Fowl Pox (most likely). With Scaly Leg Mites, they will burrow in the scales of a chicken and make the scales stick out and create a bit of a bumpy appearance. If it's Fowl Pox, there will be large sores/bumps which usually occurs on the face, but sometimes the feet.

5. swamperkk

swamperkk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    i thought it might be fowl pox,just a few have those bumps,i will have to treat all,,,thanks

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You don't have to treat for fowl pox. Actually unless it would make you feel better to put some iodine or Neosporin without the pain med on them you could but it will go away on its own. THe summer that mine had the bumps I had a couple that got really bad and it went into their beaks and heads. Those I had to watch to make sure they were able to eat and that their eyes didn't seal shut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by