1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumps on eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Monk422, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Monk422

Monk422 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Manteca, Ca
    Morning from Sunny Manteca (finally). I just pulled an egg from the coop that looks like it has acne. Our chicken has only been laying now for about a week. This is all new to me, so my question may seem goofy but I am curious what may have caused this? Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Calcium deposits - it's just a chickens' way of getting rid of excess calcium. As long as it's only from time to time (Abnormal/bumpy egg every month or two is the norm for me) you're fine!

3. Monk422

Monk422 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Manteca, Ca
    Got 3 eggs today 2 from one hen for sure. Because,......morning egg had acne on top and afternoon egg had acne on bottom. Third egg is second from another hen. So happy I could just,......YES,....I'M EASILY AMUSED. And,...had sunshine all day for the first time in a month. That's just all I have to say.

4. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    That is very normal. Especially for hens that are new to laying. [​IMG]

5. 149east

149east Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

Hi Everybody, I'm new to BYC, though I have been raising chickens for two years (not long to many of you I know!) Just took this pic this morning, my chickens have been on laying holiday during the winter, this would be one of the first eggs 'back'. Is this the excess calcium that some of you have been talking about? Thanks!

6. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    yes it is

7. TacomaFarms

TacomaFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    This seems a little extreme compared to what you are talking about... should I be concerned?

[​IMG]

8. SuziCue

SuziCue Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    My EE is laying eggs like this daily, and has been for a couple weeks. I'm getting a little concerned now that I'm reading it should only be on occasion.

All of my hens just turned a year old, so I know it's not due to her age. They all get the same feed, and all the other hens' shells are nice and thick, but the EE's are thin and fragile and bumpy. Does this sound like illness or injury, or something I should be treating?

Thanks for any advice someone can give!

9. photogirlmg

photogirlmg New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    My eggs look like Tacoma Farms eggs. Not sure if I need to do something different. They are just over a year old, they get layer feed, scratch and oyster shells. Do I need to be concerned and do anything different?

10. BirdIsTheWurd

BirdIsTheWurd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Mine also looks like the Tacoma Farms egg. My EE lays these almost every time. Sometimes the shells are thin too. She is a year old and has never seemed to get it "right" -- she will lay an egg with a normal shell once in a blue moon.
    My other 4 hens lay perfect eggs (I have another EE who lays beautiful perfectly formed eggs).
    I hope she is ok and also hope she doesn't feel pain laying these bumpy eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by