bumps on leg = rooster.

Angela Burcham

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2017
I have a 1+ month old ameraucana chick that has developed small bumps on it's legs where i assume spurs would form. Is this a sure sign it is a rooster? I have a 90% guarantee of hens from the hatchery and can return a rooster but I am bonded to this chick and its hatch mates. I'm not sure what would happen if I returned it (I'm sure nothing good) Is there a chance it is a female despite the bumps.

I have a 1+ month old ameraucana chick that has developed small bumps on it's legs where i assume spurs would form. Is this a sure sign it is a rooster? I have a 90% guarantee of hens from the hatchery and can return a rooster but I am bonded to this chick and its hatch mates. I'm not sure what would happen if I returned it (I'm sure nothing good) Is there a chance it is a female despite the bumps.
Bumps mean nothing in my opinion. A lot of mine has bumps that turned out to be hens. I've even heard of some hens having spurs.

Bumps mean nothing in my opinion. A lot of mine has bumps that turned out to be hens. I've even heard of some hens having spurs.

I so hope you are correct. I really want to keep this bird and roosters are not allowed. It is a pretty white and black Ameraucana (if the hatchery was correct on breed

All chicks have spur bumps. Your chick is most likely an Easter Egger as there are no black and white Ameraucanas. Sadly, most black/white EE are male.

Back
Top Bottom