bumpy Scabs on a few of my hen's head *Pictures*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmerboy16, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    I had posted this in the turkey thread, but I am not getting good replies, so I am posting this here. I have 9 bourbon red turkeys, 3 toms, and 6 hens, they are all 18 months. I have noticed that a few of my hens have scabs all over their head and neck. The toms looks fine. But today, I saw that one of the hens have a swelling under her eye, that feels like a water balloon, and she has running nose too. I am freaking out, because I had to cull 200+ chickens due to coryza. I know that turkeys do not get coryza, but I feel awful about culling all of my chickens, and do not want to cull my turkeys. THANKS for any help with my flock.
    Here is some pictures from my cell phone of some of my turkeys-
    Healthy looking hen
    [​IMG]

Hen with swelling under her eye, she is the only one that has it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scabbing on the hen's head and neck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the toms.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I think probably fowl pox, but just a guess since it's so common. Once they recover, they won't get it again. Lots of people here in tx vaccinate for it. It spreads by mosquitos.

3. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Ok, do I have to cull them? If I do not have to cull them, will the fowl pox spread to my future chickens replacement? What is the proper thing for me to do? What about the hen in the 2nd picture? Is that fowl pox? Thanks for any answers.

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    If it is pox, it is usually self limiting. Some will get it worse than others. Supportive treatment is the only thing you can do. It can scar them. Betadine wash is the only real support you can give. If they are not acting poorly, I would leave them alone and wait and see. Good luck, but I don't think you need to worry about culling them. I have an orp with the same problem right now. A couple of others have a bump here and there. No one is acting distressed by their poxes so I'm just leaving them alone. Beautiful turkeys by the way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by