Bunnies for meat.......

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nikki28, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    I am toying with the idea of getting rabbits for meat in the Spring. I have had them as pets and have cared for them medically as such but have never encountered people using them as meat until coming to this forum So.... a few questions.

1) How much meat does a bunny normally give after dressed (a Californian or New Zealand)?

2) What is a typical way that you would slaughter a bunny?

3)How old are they before they are ready to be processed?

Thanks! - Nikki [​IMG]

2. Nikki28

Dec 15, 2008
    Also I have never had rabbit meat what is the best way to describe the taste? (Surely it doesn't taste like chicken)

3. foxonfire

foxonfire Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Nikki28
    Today 8:07 pm I am toying with the idea of getting rabbits for meat in the Spring. I have had them as pets and have cared for them medically as such but have never encountered people using them as meat until coming to this forum So.... a few questions.

1) How much meat does a bunny normally give after dressed (a Californian or New Zealand)?

2) What is a typical way that you would slaughter a bunny?

3)How old are they before they are ready to be processed?

I'm sure people will have other opinions too...just wait...lol

but
    1. Depends on the age of the rabbit really.... I usually slaughter btwn 12 and 15 weeks, sometimes sooner sometimes later....Depends on what my demands of my customers are. Usually dressing weights are btwn 5-10 lbs, although I've had a couple of 3-4lbs also.

These are Cals and NZW, and hybrids. I also have some meat mutts- NZW/Rex, NZW/ English Spot etc.

2. I use the broomstick method. VERY FAST and Fairly easy... Take "broomstick handle" place on rabbits neck- step on broom stick- pull back legs- till you feel seperation of vertebrae- or hear the crack. rabbit is dead. You will see muscle twitching/jumping afterwards. Some people use the freezer method on smaller bunnies or the CO2 method.

3. I think I answered this one on 1....

I raise my rabbits for meat for me, my family, and my dogs. I can only sell rabbits for meat for pets. I run a raw dog/cat/pet food business. I also am starting to raise lops for pets- although I will be using some of the surplus of litters for meat. Any rabbit can be used for meat. You just run into issues of meat to bone ratio....​

4. foxonfire

Oct 2, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Nikki28
    Today 8:23 pm Also I have never had rabbit meat what is the best way to describe the taste? (Surely it doesn't taste like chicken)

[​IMG][​IMG]

HAHAHAHHA.[​IMG]...actually think of chicken but with a leaner taste...

there's almost NO FAT in rabbit! Very healthy![​IMG]

5. Nikki28

Dec 15, 2008
    FoxonFire: Thank you very much! How is the Co2 method used? I have never heard of using a broomstick it sounds very efficient if done right.

6. foxonfire

Oct 2, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Nikki28
    How is the Co2 method used?

I believe people get a rubber maid container- or any plastic container, some Co2 (I believe you can buy it from a medical supply store- not sure though) and they gas the rabbits down....

rabbits breathe the Co2- die from Co2 poisoning- no O2
    always seemed to me like it was worse than the method I used- my minds eye of slowly suffocating was worse than the quick method I use. 1...2...3... is better to me than 10-30 min? I don't use this method so someone else should pipe in! I could be wrong.

The broomstick method is also cost pro for me- doesn't cost me anything. Always a good idea especially with rising feed costs!​

7. Nikki28

Dec 15, 2008
    Quote:I believe people get a rubber maid container- or any plastic container, some Co2 (I believe you can buy it from a medical supply store- not sure though) and they gas the rabbits down....

rabbits breathe the Co2- die from Co2 poisoning- no O2
    always seemed to me like it was worse than the method I used- my minds eye of slowly suffocating was worse than the quick method I use. 1...2...3... is better to me than 10-30 min? I don't use this method so someone else should pipe in! I could be wrong.

The broomstick method is also cost pro for me- doesn't cost me anything. Always a good idea especially with rising feed costs!

No Doubt! I prefer a faster death then suffocation [​IMG]

My boyfriend would be doing the slaughtering and is asking me to ask about using a .22
    Although now that I am mentioning the broomstick method he may be leaning more toward that. [​IMG]

Thank you so much for your help I knew a few people on here had meat bunnies and was hoping one of you would be on.

BTW like chicken but leaner eh? hmmm... Sounds yummy.

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I usually raise rex-X's. Never had good luck with the larger rabbits. I would just butcher them around 8 to 10 weeks. Everyone does it different. Storey's guide to raising rabbits is a real good book to learn from. As far as the killing goes, we would just wring there necks. Later we started to use a pellet gun. Its over real fast. Lots of different opinions on that subject also. Just read as much as you can and you can make the best descision that suits you. Good luck on your rabbits.

9. Nikki28

Dec 15, 2008
    Quote:Thanks I had a friend that raised Rexs I will def. look into those I'll see if they have that book on amazon I have a few books that I want to order. Where did you aim with the pellet gun?The front or back of the head?

-Thanks again!
    -Nikki

10. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I do satins for meat rabbits feed them dairy ration and quailty hay. they grow FAST by 6 weeks they can be buthered and weight about 6-8 pounds... my kids and I think they taste like chicken but with NO FAT.

method I use is thump on head and slit throat if you do it this way the meat is WHITE WHITE WHITE and has absoultey no gamey taste the heart pumps out all the blood....

as for dressing..... (I have found that rabbits under about 4 months old this will apply to.) I use a method that would take WAY to much to explain but basically I pull the fur off inside out if you want more precise discription I would be more than happy to tell you via a phone call. it might be easier to explain rather than type... btu I do not use the method that I have seen on the net... it seems to cumberson to me... it takes me about 8 minutes to do a rabbit from thump to freezer.....

as for why I do this method only with 4 and under rabbits is because thier hide sticks to them and I have a hard time getting the hide off... I just dont have the time for it so I wont eat a rabbit that is older than 4 months.

oh and I use rabbit in pretty much anything that you can make chicken with.. plus rabbit you can eat a larger piece of rabbit and get less calories because its so lean!! my number one reason for doing it is to curb hormone intake in my daughter. I dont want her to have breast before she is 10 and I am convinced kids now days get breast and thier periods so early because of the hormones in our food! (sorry about the rant)

here is a recipe for curried rabbit that at every rabbit show I go to it is requested:

curried rabbit
    1 whole rabbit
    1 family size can of cream of chicken soup
    1/2 cup of dry sherry (or cooking wine)
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    2 tablespoons butter

all that goes in the crock pot on low/medium- dont even have to mix it/
    cook till it falls apart-
    remove bones add meat back to the sauce-
    serve over fluffy white rice or couscous
    top it with pepper and table onions sliced thinly (green onions)

we just had this for dinner tonight

lemme know if you like it!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by