Bunnies ready to kindle: UPDATE

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by obsessed, Jan 5, 2009.

1. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    So i am sure this time my two does are getting ready. Yesterday was day 29 and I put in the nest boxes with a grip of hay. This morning I saw that one was definitely making a nest out of the hay be no fur and the other is definitely pulling hair in the box with a bit of hay. This will be our first time. I am so excited in 8-12 weeks we will be having dinner.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    oh! how exciting! pics please when they 'arrive'!

3. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    OK, So female one had 5 (I think) two were found dead this morning on the edge of the nest box. In the nest box but uncovered. They were cold and dead.

Female 2 had a nice snuggly litter. I didn't move the contents around cause it looked like a good nest. I was scared to spook the does.
    Now what? When do I change the nest box to clean it?

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Day 9 their eyes will start to open and this is when you want to clean. Try to, if the top of nest is clean, put some nesting back in. Here is a link to a great website: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/

5. chinbunny1

chinbunny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Their eyes won't open till day ten.

6. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I've been breeding rabbits for many years and never had a problem if I cleaned nestboxes even on the day the does kindled. It depends on how dirty the boxes are. If they are still fairly clean and dry then leave them for a couple days. If they are wet and dirty then change them. Most does won't mind. There are of course does that have a fit no matter what you do. Usually I clean the boxes twice a week and remove them completely at four weeks. By then they tend to turn into litter boxes anyway:). Good luck.

7. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:This post cracked me up! I was reading the begining, thinking cute and fuzzy thoughts. Then I get to the last line where your going to EAT THEM [​IMG] LOL! Sorry I got a good laugh. I needed it. Thanks!

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:Ditto that! [​IMG]

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:Ditto that! [​IMG]

me too! i was cracking up! keep notes because we're doing the rabbit thing for meat this spring. pretty bunny, get in my oven! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by