Bunny Breeders Please Help with Medical ??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pips&peeps, May 14, 2008.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    My two year old mini lop bunny suddenly came down with vestibular disease.

Has anyone out there had any experience with this? From what I have read on the internet, it doesn't look too promising.

He could possibly be on meds and not recover....[​IMG]

I am contemplating putting him down as I am not able to care for him the way he would need to be cared for if his symptoms do not cease.

Thanks,

2. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    I have no experience with this. I am sorry to hear about your bunny. Sending prayers your way.

3. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    well go read this
    http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html
    i'm really sorry to hear about this. i had a rabbit with snuffles go wry neck(vestibular disease) on me recently and had to end her life. [​IMG] now my vet suggested oxytetracycline (aka terramycin soluble powder) which i got at tsc for $4.99. 1/4 tsp. per 32oz. water, change daily. i couldn't save her and don't know if it would have helped her (happened on a weekend so didn't talk to vet till monday) but i had two others come down with snuffles and the terramycin cleared it right up. luckily they weren't my breeders. anyway if what is causing it falls into the category of needing an antibiotic then it's worth a try. i say go for it. if you can afford the vet and all the meds and testing entailed then go that route. if you do the terramycin then the bunny needs probios cause the antibiotic will kill the good bacteria too. if you can't buy the fancy stuff try yogurt. hope this helps. i'll dig around some more for you and see what else i have in my favorites. keep us updated on what you decide. i feel for you.

oh is he eating and drinking?

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Well,

After speaking to a lady who has raised rabbits since 1968, I decided that Bun Bun had to go to the big carrot field in the sky.

He was more than likely not going to recover, we will miss him. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll see you at the rainbowbridge little man.

5. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    oh i'm so sorry. he looks alot like my reuben. very sorry.

6. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    It's probably for the best. sorry for your loss.

7. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I'm so, so sorry! I've lost two bunnies to hairball impaction and it's heartwrenching. What a cute little baby! He can play with my Hoppy and Cadbury up in bunny heaven.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by