Bunny color genetics question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 13, 2011.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I bred my American spotted doe and my blue otter (unknown breed) buck again. The first time I bred them I got 5 spotted babies and 6 agouti. She lost 2 spotted and 2 agouti from that bunch. The 3 spotted ended up being 2 agouti spotted and 1 'grey' spotted like mama.

I'm not exactly sure how many she has this time, I believe there are 7: 3 spotted and 4 that look black? I'm confused, I assumed that since dad is blue otter and the doe is not blue, that all babies would get brown (agouti) from him? I'm not complaining, black otters (most likely they will be) are very pretty, I'm just confused.

Here are pics of the parents:
    Mom
    [​IMG]

Dad
    [​IMG]

And their babies last time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The spotted baby on the 'top' of the last pic was the same color as mom.

When I bred him to a black Havana doe, I got agoutis and black otters.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Rabbits can carry their genes down through several generations. Our last litter threw a broken blue, and checking the pedigree, the blue came from a great grandparent. ONE blue in the entire pedigree. He is a stunning rabbit too, the one we chose to keep. Doe is a REW and buck is a broken chestnut. Go figure.

3. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    American Spotted. Never heard of them before? Must not be a recognized breed.

The doe looks to be a mixed breed broken chin

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The breed is American, the color is spotted (broken).

I was looking at the babies today, they are now 1 week. I think one of them is going to be gray (blue) like daddy, but it could just be wishful thinking [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

I don't know about you Shelley, but I find the colors that are accepted silly. Broken instead of spotted, blue instead of dark gray, and WHAT is agouti anyways. [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Well, I know she is 'technically' broken, but since she is mostly white (as a lot of broken-colored pets are) around here they call them spotted. Agouti is just a fancy way of saying brown...must be Latin or something [​IMG]

7. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    I didnt know americans came in broken, i thought they came in blue black and white. I totally want them now lol

ETA: Your baby daddy looks to be a opal

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  8. debilorrah

Quote:Well, I know she is 'technically' broken, but since she is mostly white (as a lot of broken-colored pets are) around here they call them spotted. Agouti is just a fancy way of saying brown...must be Latin or something [​IMG]

[​IMG] I say agouti to a non-rabbit person and they look at me like I grew a third eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by