1. Bryceeast

Bryceeast Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Chicken Run
    I am using a old bunny coop it is 24in tall 28in wide and 48in long they like it and i put pine shaveinds in it my question is do i need a bigger coop all i have is 2 chickens?!?!?!?

2. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Yes! They would be much happier in a larger area.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Do they have a run to go with the coop? I use an old rabbit hutch for a coop in my growout/broody pen, but it sits in a 7x13 dog kennel that they use for a run so they're not just stuck in the small "coop."

4. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    I think it's fine for a sleeping coop. It may even work for eating/drinking too if the feeder and waterer are smallish. A lot depends on breed, or more generically, size. If you let them out to strerch their wings and run around, they will be happier and healthier. I only have a 3x5 coop but the nest box is mounted externally, and they have roosts higher up, giving them a second level. I would think about adding extra floor space. You could do it fairly quickly/cheaply. It wouldn't have to be fanct, just functional.

5. You state that you have 8 sf of space. That is totally sufficient if you are using the coop for roosting and laying only. Using your bunny hutch is a smart thing to do because it cuts down on cost. You will need to let them out in a run or free range with that size of coop though.

Happy chicken raising.

6. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    That will be perfectly fine for 2 birds, even full time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by