1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bunny just gave birth over due to one still birth

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by swiftchick, Sep 3, 2014.

1. swiftchick

swiftchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    Westminster, CA
    Okay so I thought that my bunny was pregnant but she never made a nest or anything so I thought she wasn't. Today is day 37 and we just went out there late morning and there was a stillborn, very long bunny. Now I'm worried that she's pregnant with more! She's shaking and there's blood on her nose from trying to nudge the baby. Anybody been in the situation before and can give me some advice? First or second hand advice please. [​IMG]

2. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    I've had this happen twice before.
    Fill her pen up with hay and leave her be for a while. She may have just the one or might still be having more, likely all will be dead at this point but you never know. Take the dead kit away from her or she's likely to eat it.
    Aprille

3. swiftchick

swiftchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    Westminster, CA
    Thanks. I took it away and that's how I knew it was only one. I thought it was two but it was like double the proper size :( I'll give her more hay

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    When does are pregnant with only one or two babies, they often go past their due dates and the babies grow to be very large. Many years ago, I dubbed them "sausage babies" because that's pretty much what they look like when you find them.[​IMG] They almost always die during delivery, though I have found very large, live singles in the nest box on a few occasions. It isn't too likely that your doe has any more in there, but you could palpate her to check. A baby that large would be almost impossible to miss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by