Bunny Nutrition

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickensforever, Mar 2, 2008.

1. chickensforever

chickensforever Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Does anybody know what Ilius is? My sister's rabbit got it (a toxic reaction to too much grain) and now the vet wants her on a hay-only diet. The problem I have with that is hay isn't as nutritious as it used to be and grain or other supplements are probably needed. He even said no fruit/vegetables. He gave us a packet on nutrition, but can I really cut off all other feed even if in smaller doses than before? She's also lost a lot of weight.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best of luck. I don't know anything about bunnies at all.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would follow the vets advice but, ask if at sometime in the future (a month, two, etc.) you could add in small amounts. Remeber, first you need to get it's system in proper working order.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I think the ilius has something to do with the small intesine-- sounds like the vet is saying the bun has celiac disease. That's a progressive allergy to grain; usually wheat gluten. Why isn't she being fed bunny chow? Does she react to that, too?

5. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Bunny pellets have grains in them. I would imagine this is why the vet doesn't want her to have it.

6. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    This is from Merriem-Webber's medical dictionary:
    Main Entry: il·e·us
    Pronunciation: il--s
    Function: noun
    : obstruction of the bowel; specifically : a condition that is commonly marked by a painful distended abdomen, vomiting of dark or fecal matter, toxemia, and dehydration and that results when the intestinal contents back up because peristalsis fails although the lumen is not occluded

7. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A link that looks to have very good info. It is from Miami University.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Note in the article it says not to feed Alfalfa as it is to high in protein and calcium.

Pat, you must be faster typer or googler.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Sounds like a lack of fiber, which would be why the vet said to feed an all hay diet. Do what the vet says, you can always provide a mineral block if you are concerned about deficiency.

When bunny is out of the woods, you could probably go back to an all purpose bunny feed, but I would continue to provide roughage in the form of hay at all times if you don't want a relapse. Not all rabbit feed is created equal. I tried everything available in this area before I found one that works for me.

9. MS9325

MS9325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    dont feed wheat to rabbits, it can be potentially deadly, when the rabbit is better go to a form of rabbit pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by