Bunny people, I need help NOW! UPDATE

newchickowner

Songster
12 Years
Aug 19, 2007
Texas
A critter moved under our house this week so we put out a trap thinking (and dreading) that it might be a skunk or possum. It was a rabbit. Unfortunately the trap BROKE his hind leg and the bone is through the skin! I can't get any help or info from the local vets, and I don't want the little fellow to get infection. I don't know what to do, my b/f says we can't keep him, but I know I can't just turn him loose like this. He's getting along well and after I post this I'm going to give it water and I have some carrots and lettuce in the fridge I'll give it. In the mean time does anyone know what I can put on it to prevent infection, and if there is a wild animal rescue near me I can take him for a good home. I'm in Kaufman county.

Last edited:
Don't feed the rabbit iceberg lettuce! And they don't usually like carrots all that much. You can feed it a bit of apple (no pits), leaves from broccoli, leafy greans, grasses and a little bit of dry bread, and lots of water. Rabbits need to eat all the time or their digestive system gets messed up. Timothy and oat hay is good for them.
I can't give you advice on how to treat the injury, I don't know enough about it. But rabbits are very different from cats and dogs as far as treatment is concerned. They also die easily from shock.
Your best bet is to try and locate a rescue facility near you, or at least get advice from them.

You can not let him loose like that.
My dad was a tuff one for not interfearing with wild animals that we assumed needed our help or intervention.

UNLESS the animal was put into danger from unintentional human causes then he said was the time to
do the animal a favor.

I was faced with this type of problem once... It will get infected if the bone is broken through the skin.
He either needs it amputated OR be put to sleep
after calling a couple vets I found one who I told the situation and he agreed to put it to sleep for me
and only charged $20.00
In another situation in years past I found A FRIENDLY OLD GENTELMAN who kindly shot and baried an animal for me.

GOOD LUCK

Ok, don't have lettuce afterall. I have broccoli and whole wheat bread. There are carrots in there but.........
There is also a bowl of water in there. I was surprised at the ease that it came out of the trap and I was able to pick it up without him freaking out. With leather gloves of course. It doesn't seem too nervous, but I don't know rabbits very well. All I had was a pet rabbit as a child many years ago. I just feel bad that the trap broke his leg. It's your average run of the mill trap with the trap door. I feel so bad. If putting him down is the only answer, I'm going to cry my eyes out! I can't get any info on rescue centers around me, and none of the vets seem to give a darn!

Jeez, the tears have already started!

Last edited:
I'm really upset about this......I can't find any wildlife rescue place of any kind near me.

I just checked on it again and it seems he tried the broccoli and the fur just under his mouth is wet, so I'm assuming that he took a drink of water. Other than that he is just sitting very still.

Newchick I'm sorry this has happened. I know you don't want to pu him down. Sometimes people put ads on Craigslist asking for rescue info or whatever and someone will get right back to them. You might want to go to the Texas Craigs and check it out. There's got to be someone out there that will help. Good luck I hope he comes through it.

Cara

Newchick,
I didn't take the time to study up on Texas geography, but here are a few wildlife rescue organizations in Texas. You can look at their websites to see if they are located near you.

www.austinwildliferescue.org

www.wildlife-rescue.org

www.rainbowwildlife.com

If you are close to Houston, call the Houston SPCA.

I agree on the iceburg lettuce...it's mostly water and will give them diarrhea. My sister raised a newborn wild rabbit after it's mother was killed and it did just fine. But wild creatures do need to be left wild. Since there was that accident, just do the best you can. Good luck!

Here's another one:

Zapata Wildlife Rescue
611 Falcon Ave.
Zapata, TX
(956) 765-8526

I don't know anything about any of these organizations, except for the HSPCA, so check carefully. Just trying to help.

Back
Top Bottom