Bunny question...why is my female Flemish giant.....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickensioux, Jan 18, 2010.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    trying to breed EVERYTHING? All the dogs. She's driving them crazy. The two small dogs get really mad and the larger 2 (doberman and aussie) are just plain confused. I hope they don't get mad. Is is just spring time? Will she stop?

2. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Are you sure she is a she? bucks will mount just about anything when its breeding time. Sometimes does will too when they want to dominate another animal.

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Are you sure its a doe? Bucks tend to mount more then does. Does will mount, but its usually only to show they are boss.
    Rabbits dont go into heat like other animals, so its not becouse he/she is in heat, so the time of the year doesnt matter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2010
  4. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    Does prime to breed will mount the buck. They play bunny games and then the deed is done. A doe mounting is very, very normal. she should cycle out in a few days. But, she may do it again next month and the following.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    She is definately a she. I looked again to be sure. She is huge and I would have seen "bunny berries" if she were a male. No berries.....

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Do you have a picture posted of your giant bunny anywhere?

7. Melissakins

Melissakins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    South Alabama
    True story...my folks vet came to the house when I was still a youngster living at home. I raised bunnies to sell as pets. I had a hutch with separate quarters for bucks/does/babies. One young male who my folks dubbed Bunnicula wound up getting out and hung out in the yard. He'd hide and jump out at you hence the name.

The vet came to the door and rang the bell and noted all the kittens that had come about from a female cat someone dropped off at my parents driveway sitting on the windowsill resting and did a double-take. There on the windowsill with the kittens was the young Bunnicula blending in with his feline friends.

How he got on the windowsill, I don't know. He had to have jumped from the wicker love seat out there up to the sill.

He was a humper too....My does were sort of humpy, but not to the extent of my bucks, so I don't have a lot by way of suggestions.....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sounds like a dominance thing with your rabbit. Many female animals will hump objects and other animals to show their dominance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by