Bunny wheezing question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by megshenhut, Oct 2, 2007.

1. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    I have a lop rabbit that we've had almost 6 years. Don't know how old she is as she showed up in our yard one day. Anyway, this summer she started making a little bit of a wheezing sound. No other symptoms. Eating fine, eyes clear, no nose drainage. But this sound isn't going away and not getting worse. Should I be concerned? Does anyone have any suggestions? She gets alfalfa rabbit pellets at night, has hay to pick at all the time, gets a papaya tablet and lettuce leaf each morning and has access to water 24/7.

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Respiratory issues in bunnies can arise from a great many things. I'm afraid you will need a trip to the vet to determine the cause. I've been working on a mystery respiratory problem with my bunny for a couple of months now - very frustrating!
    DO NOT let anyone talk you into home dosing the bunny with antibiotics (they can only take certain types of antibiotics).
    You must be taking great care of your girl to keep her going to this age. Nice job!
    [​IMG]

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I know that cedar bedding can cause respiratory problems...but other then that I'm not much help. Been years since we had rabbits...hope you find what is ailing your bunny.

4. megshenhut

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Chickbea, So is my bunny old? How long to bunnies live anyway? Please don't tell me I have a senior rabbit. I've lost too many senior pets in the last 3 years.

5. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    A well-cared for house bunny can live 10-12 years, so you're only half way there!
    Sadly, many bunnies kept outside don't live nearly that long due to neglect and heat. Heat is deadly to buns. Wild bunnies, of course, die long before that due to predation.
    [​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My last rabbit lived to be 13 1/2. Do you know of a good rabbit vet in your area? I would take her in and have her looked at. Rabbits are a little different than other species when it comes to antibiotics, they shouldn't be fasted before surgery and they have their own set of health problems. You could always check with The House Rabbit Society for a vet referral, if you need one. http://www.rabbit.org/ http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

7. tiffwilhelm

tiffwilhelm Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2007
    Northern California
    I can't remember the name of the common virus that some rabbits get, but I recently had to give my poor boy anit-biotics twice a day for 10 days. He had wheezing and a drippy nose though. The bunny doctor here said that many rabbits carry the bacteria without symptoms for long periods of time. When the symptoms show up, it's best to treat with a course of antibiotics or other problems could arise. Also look for ulcers in the ears. We didn't have any, but it is another of many symptoms. House Rabbit Society has a good web site with info on health.

Our rabbit, Turbo Fluff, is a 2 year old angora lop. He's spoiled!

8. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    How is bunny doing?

9. tiffwilhelm

tiffwilhelm Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2007
    Northern California
    After 2 days of treatment he completely cleared up. Now is is frolicking with all the other critters and kids. I felt bad giving him the medicine, but when I was done, I felt bad that I even hesitated at first.

10. megshenhut

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Bunny seems to be doing better. Everytime I take my DH out to look or listen, we hear nothing. The only time I hear anything from her is last thing in the morning when I'm feeding her. Could it be I just hear her sniffing for food? Do bunnies make any kind of sniffing noise?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by