1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bunnys to fat need some advise!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by silverfilly, Mar 25, 2009.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    OK I know what your thinking "dont feed them so much, But I barely feed them already. I have some Hotots and Some Silver fox and they are geting fat. The Hotots are only 11 weeks and not geting chubby yet but the silver fox range from 5 months -8 months and they are geting quit chubby. I free feed them prairie hay and they get about 3/4 cup of Manna Pro pellets for rabbits. I also have a dressing I made up that is 1/3 calfmanna 1/3 sweetfeed and 1/3 oats, they get about a tablespoon of that a day. I know they are not soposed to be fat to breed and my does are geting to that age. The thing is I dont feel like I feed them enough, their feed is gone within just a few hours and they run around begging for more when I walk by. Should I stop the top dressing I made? Give them less feed? give them more feed? They act like they are starving but they are geting so chunky. Any advise? I got them to raise meat rabbits and I want them to be healthy enough to carry a litter and raise it but whats too fat?

ETA: the dressing I made becouse I have been told its good for growing bunnys and finishing out meaties. But is it to much? They really dont get very much of it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    So have you been keeping food out 24/7? I feed in the morning, and in the evening, enough for them to be satified but I don't keep feed out 24/7. Often times animals will eat and eat as long as there is feed and gorge themselves. I would gradually transition over to 3/4 oats instead of the Manna Pro. The dressing is a treat I take it? If you feel they need a treat, I'd drop the sweet grain from it, and make the Manna Pro and Calf Manna the treat instead.
    They are going to act really hungry at first, but they'll learn to accept it eventually.
    Thats just my opinion and how I feed my rabbits, but I own mainly mini lops.

3. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    no I dont keep their feed bowls full all the time, they just get their 3/4 cup of pellets with the dressing mix ( about a tablespoon) and the rest is just the hay, they do have hay 24/7. The mix was soposed to be for extra protein and to help them with their coats and finishing out a meat pen, I was hoping to do a bit of showing and The show crowd is where I got the info for the dressing mix. They finish their pellets with about 2 hours and look at me like they are starving, runing to their bowls and looking at me to feed them again. They do have the hay at all times though, should they not? And when you said 3/4 oats you meant 3/4 cup of oats and just a tiny bit of manapro?

I only feed them pellets once a day

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. Blackbird

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Although I'm not THAT big into showing rabbits, I have shown, and I realize that other owners can get a bit uptight about what others feed.. Does the 'show crowd' also feed 3/4 Manna Pro for their normal feed? I would keep the hay. Yes I meant 3/4 cup of oats, with the manas for 'dressing'. If you want you could break the 3/4 cup into two feedings to 'tide' them over for the night more.
    Also, for coat/fur health you can add a bit of Black Oil SunFlower Seeds to their feed, it has selenium with is great for coat and nail health.

5. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Please stop feeding the extra in bold print.
    pellets and hay only, the other is junk food and at this time of year is un necessary.

If they are getting 3/4 cup of manna pro/gro increase the pellets to 1 cup along with hay to chew on and push everything through.
    Silver fox does are supposed to weigh 11 lbs at the year old mark. buck between 9 and 10 lbs, the fatter the does are the less likely they will breed, and if they do chances are high that kindle will be a problem.
    The extra you are putting in is whats creating the weight gain. its high is starches and sugar.

EDTA: when a Female rabbit gets fat , the fat collects around the uterine horns, squeezing off the tubes enough to stop fertilization. belly fat will also stop proper cleaning and grooming,especially after kindle..

This has nothing to do with showing a rabbit this is common sense, the principle can be kin to us being pregnant and trying to bend over to tie our shows with a big bump in the way.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  6. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    The supplement can be helpful for show animals to give them that extra bit. But at the ages you mention a tablespoon seems like a lot. You can just give them the oats and it will still help to put the extra finish on the without all the extra protien and fat. Just a pinch a day not a tablespoon.

The calf manna and sweetfeed, I would pick one or the other and that would be great for nursing does if you breed.

7. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks for that info, I figured thats what you all would say but just thought Id ask first. I will quit with the mix and just go with hay and regular feed. Just wanted to be sure, I know when I first started reaserching geting rabbits the Mix was pushed as pretty much being essential but I was also looking to show when I first became interested. I just wanted to be sure thats what I should leave off.

Thanks everyone

8. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I am NO expert when it comes to rabbits, but I know what has worked for our rabbits....

We give our rabbits there pellet mixed with an all animal feed...They do have this feed and water avaliable 24/7.
    We also give our rabbits plenty of fruit and veggies along with dry oatmeal...They love this...this is put into a dish each day when we feed/water the animals...They have sticks/twigs to chew on too, along with hay (both for eatting and bedding)....
    They also have large enough cages/pens/runs to get plenty of excersise..
    None of our rabbits are over weight(to the best of my knowledge)...they also are not underweight....

They sometimes get whole or cracked corn too...but this is also in the all animal feed we give, so we don't add alot of extra corn...

and of course when the weather gets nicer we give them fresh grass too....

again, I am not an expert and don't try to be one, but I know what has worked for our animals...

9. Blackbird

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Well people have posted quite a bit of info for you! I hope everything works out alright.

10. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I've shown rabbits in the past and plan on showing again. You don't need to keep your rabbits on a "show diet" off the season, and the diet I fed my breeders was usually different than what my show rabbits had.

Only feed them the fancy stuff 2-4 weeks before a show as a supplemental feed. One tablespoon is more than enough for an adult rabbit. For juniors I'd do a little less.

Back when I was showing I only gave them their pellets. They didn't have the extra hay to eat when they're bored (and if they're bored, they'll sit and eat just to have something to do - hardwood toys help with boredom [​IMG].

Good luck at the shows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by