Burglary

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PotterWatch, Jan 5, 2010.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We were camping with friends (left home yesterday), and we got a call from my sil that our house had been broken into. [​IMG] We packed up our campsite and came home to find two broken windows and a handful of mostly electronic stuff gone. It's going to be a pain the neck to deal with insurance and we lost a few things that aren't replaceable, but it could have been worse. The worst part of it is that my kids don't feel safe right now. They are both sleeping in our bed for the night and my younger one has cried a few times with worry. It's really just irritating to know that someone in our neighborhood watched us get ready for camping and waited for us to leave so that they could rob us. My husband's family has lived in this house for about 40yrs and this is the first time it's been broken into. At least it's just stuff right?!

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Oy! Glad you guys are okay! Better burglary than home invasion!! I hope everything works out for the best, sorry for the kiddos [​IMG]

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I;m so sorry to hear that!!! [​IMG] I hope someone will come forward if they saw anything. [​IMG]

4. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    That is just wrong. I am so sorry.

5. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Glad you and your family were okay [​IMG]

6. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    How horrible! I would feel so violated, but at least you are all OK.

Being a former NY City gal I always had a dog--usually two. Don't have to be big--just noisy if necessary. We take 4-5 weeks of vacation a year and have a house-sitter stay at our home. We've used the same gal for several years and she loves it and the critters love her-- everyone wins. We do usually have at least 1 large dog (Belgian Malinois now) and a small dog (terrier). They are all loved as family members [​IMG] and make me feel safe since my hubby sleeps through anything [​IMG] . I would never want my dogs to actually have to attack an intruder (God forbid they'd get hurt!) they are more for a deterrent and it just makes me feel better. Perhaps you might consider it so you all feel better?

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry to read this happened to you.So glad that it was while you were not home. I have read that there is a very high risk of repeat break in after the initial one,because it is expected that you will replace the stolen items...so brand new electronics to steal.

Besides a whole house alarm and/or cameras you could add cheap alarms to each window.And not sure how effective it is, but I read that adding that vinyl film to windows will make them more difficult to break. I have it on some windows for privacy.If I replace any windows I will test this out on an old one!

8. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG] and some for the kids [​IMG]

This is for the burglars... [​IMG]

9. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    How old are your children? If they are young, you could take a spray bottle of water and mark it with skull and crossbones. Just before bedtime, you could go with them to spray the closet, under the bed, any dark place they are afraid the boogey man might hide. Then set the bottle by the bed so they can spray anything that scares them in the middle of the night. I did this with my daughter many, many moons ago and it worked beautifully........until my DH went in to check on her in the middle of the night without turning on a light. You guessed it.....Right in the face !!!!!!!!! I didn't get any sleep that night because every time I thought about it I burst out laughing! If they are older, get each of them a big whistle on a neck cord. Have them go to bed with it on. If anything makes them think a home invasion is taking place, they blow the whistle and the rest of the family comes to the rescue. Perhaps this is childish and oversimplified, but the psychological factor here is "fear of what you can't control". If a person thinks they have some means of controlling the outcome they can rest easier with less anxiety. The whistle becomes the panic button that they can rely on to bring help and control the fearful situation.

Praying for God's protection as a family just before bedtime is a powerfully calming activity. I highly recommend it.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:We have two dogs but they were on the camping trip with us. I have no doubt that if the dogs had been home, it wouldn't have happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by