1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. lostnstars

lostnstars Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2014
    My hens are almost a year old. I got them on a whim and despite that, they are doing really well. We built a super secure set up and they get a lot of 'free time' in our garden when we are home and actively able to listen for emergencies.

About a week and a half ago, one of my hens managed to sneak out the gate and into the dog yard while I was setting the waterer back in it's spot. For this very reason, I keep the dogs locked inside anytime I have the gate open. Even though none of the hens have ever ventured into the dog yard before, I like to try and cover my bases.

I did not see she had slipped past even though it took me a minute to get the gate secured. I then let the dogs (10 including all the fosters) out. Don't worry, the hen made it and now has the name pLucky. It was not easy calling the pack off of her. They almost listened until she raced across the yard shrieking her head off. When I pulled my staffie mix off of her I was sure that was it.

The bird came out without a single, visible, wound. I feel she isn't laying but that's fine. She acts normal. She was a bit slower the first few days but has seemed fine for about a week. I'm told there's still a risk of her dying though. She eats, poops, drinks, forages, squawks, and acts just like she used to. I'm not terribly emotionally attached to my chickens so I've not put much thought into what I would do with one should it die. I don't want to bury a chicken on my property because it would def attract predators. I don't think you're supposed to eat them unless you kill them yourself right?

I figured even though pLucky looks like she'll make it (feathers crossed), it'd be good to have a plan for future reference. What do you do with a dead chicken?

2. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    I would do a burial. Unless you have animals that like to dig.

3. Hannahloveshens

Hannahloveshens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    The best thing to do is cremate her get a old Meatal bin and put loads of dry wood in the bottom ,her on top of the wood, then more wood and finally stuff straw or newspaper in to light it, it is a safer cleaner way as no illness will be spread x

1 person likes this.
  4. lostnstars

lostnstars Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2014
    Thanks guys!

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I dig a post hole 1-2 foot deep, drop the carcass in, stuff the dirt plugs back in and call it done.

6. rachelisneat

rachelisneat Just Hatched

Feb 23, 2015
    I was actually wondering the same thing: lost a chick due to accident, and placed her into the garbage, feeling like I should have a better plan.
    Burial would be less preferable for me, because of our small space/backyard. Is it easy to cremate? I also like the idea of limiting spread of infection (if that were a cause). Am curious about odors; would my neighbors be put-off by any smell to cremating? Are there other posts about carcasses?

Ps. Glad your girl made it!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by