Buried Wire Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by itsren, Apr 20, 2012.

1. itsren

itsren Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    New chicken owner here... I live in the Pacific Northwest and we get rain about 9 months out of the year. I keep reading that wire should be buried beneath the coop and run to keep digging predators out. Is there a specific kind of wire that is recommended that won't rust? My coop will have a roof, but the attached run will not. The other thought I had was drilling holes in a piece of plywood and burying that instead. I'm not sure if that will be asking for trouble (termites) or if plywood would hurt the chickens if they managed to dig through the dirt or sand and pecked at it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

We've seen Bald Eagles, hawks, racoons, opossums, and moles. We have heard of cougars wandering into the neighborhood every now and then, as well. I'm not sure what other possible predators we may have that we don't know about.

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I use an apron around my coops;[​IMG]

3. itsren

itsren Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    That's a good idea! So you don't need to bury anything at all then, right?

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just ran an electric fence about 6-8" off the ground. A lot easier and cheaper than all that fencing.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    That's correct

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by