Burning poo covered wood shavings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by congdon476, Jan 30, 2009.

1. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Uhm- I'm not sure where this topic belongs, but if we don't opt to compost the used pine shavings from the coop, can we burn them or would this cause a "lovely" chicken poo smell in the air?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    very lovely fragrance! [​IMG] not that bad...[​IMG]

3. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    It is a valuable resource and burning it is a terrible waste, not to mention that burning anything to simply dispose of it is not an environmentally friendly thing to do.

I don't know where you live but I'll guess that there could be numerous gardeners in your area that would be happy to come by and cart it away for you. If you were near here, I'd pick it up. (I keep compost piles going year round. One giant pile is right now happily steaming away next to the coop during our snowy, frigid Maine winter.

Join Freecycle and offer it there. Or offer it on Craigslist. Or put a sign up at a local feed or garden shop.

Too good to waste. Give it to someone that values it and will return it to the earth in a proper manner.

Wayne

4. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Too good to waste. Give it to someone that values it.

Wayne

Good idea- I hadn't thought of anyone wanting to come and pick up my poo!​

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Gee, that would be like burning dollar bills or cheeseburgers or something. Convert something USEFUL into POLLUTION?? [​IMG]

Yes, DEFINITELY offer them to someone else... tho it is really no trouble at ALL to compost them yourself, just chuck them in a pile and ignore them for a year or two, then spread on your lawn or veg garden or whatever, to, I promise, good effect.

Good luck,

Pat

6. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    My concern would be that the neighbors would complain about the "stinking pile of poo"

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    You can sprinkle some lime over the pile to down the smell if the need arises. [​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I never heard of burning the poo. I put the poop and pine shaving in a compost pile. It sets and cooks for several months before I use it. I turn it every once in awhile and whenever I add to my piles.

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    If you're not interested in composting it - which believe me, really is so totally easy, then I guarantee that if you list it on freecycle, it will be gone within the day. Maybe even within the hour. That site still amazes me - so efficient! Love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by