1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Burrs and chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickyfarm, Mar 24, 2015.

1. chickyfarm

chickyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Forgive me if this is the wrong category to post this and but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Burrs sure are a pest to me and my children though!

We moved to a six acre property in the fall. The previous owner let it get very overgrown for probably 4 of the acres. We are working on cleaning it up but one major problem we have are burr plants. We spent one whole day cleaning up probably a good half acre. There is a lot of wooded area on the property with burr plants mixed in that we have not gotten to and might not get to by the time our chickens are grown enough to go into the coop and free range a little bit. Do I need to be worried about the chickens eating the burs and if they do is it going to harm them? they are the big brown clumpy burs not the little tiny ones.

2. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    I have plants which are toxic to hens in my garden, the hens don't eat them.

3. chickyfarm

chickyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    I hope my chickens won't eat the burrs but a little worried about it.

4. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    If you are very worried, take the rodent approach, sacrifice 2 hens and let them free range and see what happens, if nothing happens increase the number over weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by