Bushes chickens won't eat!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chamin, Feb 27, 2016.

1. chamin

chamin New Egg

Feb 25, 2016
    This is my first official post but I've been reading threads for about a year now.

We have three remaining hens after our dog started attacking them so now we have to keep them separated all the time. They don't much appreciate this after their wide free ranging. I'd like to plant some bushes on the side of the house where they are confined for a lot of the day to offer them extra shade and protection in the hot Phoenix summer coming up. Last year we planted a couple of different kinds but they ate them when they got bored and couldn't go foraging anywhere else.

I'm wondering if you can recommend something they won't eat, that's not poisonous to the hens and that can tolerate a lot of shade but also a lot of heat?

Thanks!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to hear your dog has attacked your flock :hugs I'm not big on gardening but here is an article that may help you ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-proof-garden
    I've found they tend to know what's poisonous for them and do avoid those plants.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry for your losses, keeping the dogs and birds separated is for the best. Yorkshire coop has given you a good link, you could also ask other members in AZ on your state thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Make yourself at home here and if you have questions, always feel free to ask!

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

But so sorry about your losses and wish you luck with the remaining flock. Retraining them to remain in confinement will be a challenge.

You may get some help under the gardening forums about selection of plants.
    If you have part sun in heat - then many of the sun loving plants can still be grown there. If total shade then the selection is quite difficult.
    But whatever you decide on, you will need to protect the plants until they establish or the flock will continue to destroy those.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Just about the only plant that my flock shows no interest in is Rosemary - once they are established, they are pretty good shade plants.

All the best with your planting!

CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If majority rules, the dog should be locked up and the chickens free to range. I am a dog lover all my life, but, your dog enjoyed killing chickens and he will try again any chance he has.

You could put a top on their run to block the sun, and also keep fliers inside and raptors out. Give them some toys in their run, a long, big branch to use as a roost, a sandbox for dust bathing, hang a head of cabbage where they just to jump up to eat some. Some chickens really enjoy "chicken swings," Some birds will chase a brightly colored ball.

8. chamin

chamin New Egg

Feb 25, 2016
    Give them some toys in their run,   a long, big branch to use as a roost, a sandbox  for dust bathing, hang a head of cabbage where they just to jump up to eat some.   Some chickens really enjoy "chicken swings,"  Some birds will chase a brightly colored ball.
    [/quote]

Thanks! These sound easy to do. They actually have an area that is fenced off with their coop inside. It is covered by two big fruit trees but I was hoping to get some bushes in the for when the trees lose all their leaves. We do leat them out into the full yard for a few hours each day while the dogs are locked inside. So they are still fully free range but it's not quite as free range as they'd like!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by