Busted egg under broody? Candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lablover, Aug 6, 2014.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    Its day 10. I had 11 eggs under a broody. Went to check tonight, 1 had the inner part busting out of the hard shell. Nothing was oozing out. 1 looked like it was cracking. I threw both of those away and checked the rest. I changed the hay and saw that at some point, an egg had busted because the hay was "wet" all the way through. It was then that I realized one egg was missing from the count, so did she eat that one? Anyway, some of the other eggs had the busted egg gunk on them, though I don't think it was the protruding egg. Will those be okay? This is my first broody, and at this point I just hope she can hatch at least one. I have some green/blue eggs in there and can't successfully candle them. Some of the brown ones I have in there look like they have not changed since I checked them on day 6. There are small black dots in two of them for sure, but I can't see much else. The other brown one looks half dark when candling, and I can see some veining (if that is what it's called) so I hope that is a live chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by