BUSTED! Just found 2 egg stashes-at neighbors!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Parrotchick, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Parrotchick

Parrotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Boonsboro MD
    I just peered out my window and saw THREE naughty birds on the wrong side of the fence, hanging out by the neighbor's house. I'm trying to break them of the habit but the fence itsn't tall enough. I went over to re-route them to find there were actually four birds-two chickens and two turkeys. The curious turkeys often jump the fence and sometimes manage to get back home themselves, but the chickens, who jump the fence much less frequently, have always needed to be hustled back by me.

So I opened the fence and shooed the chickens back one by one. The Tom turkey and the hen looked oddly indifferent to me, not beeping pathetically like they so often do when they're caught on the wrong side. The hen was snuggled in a pile of leaves, with Tom guarding. I sent them home, only to find 13 eggs in the leaves! Aha! I find a turkey egg here and there in the pen or on my porch but this was crazy. I've never even seen anyone hunkered down outside the pens/coops. Then as I was picking those up, I saw a pile of 6 blue eggs several feet away, by the door to the cellar! So one of my EE's has been going back and forth of her own accord. Good thing the neighbor's are cool, though I'm sure if they'd seen the eggs they would have said something, but it's by a seldom used part of their house/yard. God only knows where else there may be stashes. All birds come in to their respective pens houses every night and a head check is done, so I don't expect any juniors. I suppose this could be more problematic in the spring if they're more intent on being broody. Good thing my silkies can't jump the fence-they'd love to find a ready pile of eggs to sit on!

I did the float test and all the eggs sank. The temps here have been in the 20's-40's. Some were pretty dirty but none cracked. Is it OK to eat them?

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    If the eggs sank I would try them. What a bunch of wayward birds you have lol.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I would keep them seperate and candle them. the crack them into a bowl for a smell check before eating them. If they look and smell fine I would then feed them to someone I don't like. (just kidding)

4. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    They're probably okay if you know they are only a few days old, but normally, I would save those for the dogs or scramble them and feed them back to the hens.
    We've had two hens that have exhibited changes in their laying behaviour lately. One RIR mix started laying on the coop floor in a particular corner when she always had used one of the nest boxes before. Another who has been very broody in the past and prefered a particular box was found the other day laying out behind our barn in a brushy spot while they were out ranging. I'm really surprised she was doing that, since she always preferred "her" box and she's been laying eggs in it for over a year. I wouldn't have know, had I not caught her sitting the other day in the new spot. Silly hens.

Beth

5. hankus

hankus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    They should be fine to eat. If your worried much just use them to bake with. Assuming they pass the smell test that is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by