BUSTED! Now looking for last minute help.

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Srawl, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Srawl

Srawl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Here is a little back story,

A made the final decision to dive into chicken raising after my last deployment to Afghanistan about a year ago. I did a lot of reading about them and a lot less about the laws. I skimmed through the city ords and did a couple Google searches that came up largely unproductive except for a random forum post saying "Yes, chickens are aloud." So I got 5 lovely chickens from whom I have just started getting eggs from all 5. Today the Code enforcement officer stopped by to tell me I have 10 days to get rid of them.

Obviously I do not want to, and obviously I should have done more research. I plan on doing much more reading than I already have (especially on this forum) but would like some advise in the mean time.

Here is all it says about chickens in the code:

Livestock means all domesticated animals, including but not limited to horses, mules, donkeys, cows, goats, sheep, pigs, hogs, rabbits, pigeons,chickens, and does not include dogs and cats. This definition does not include domestic pet rabbits, limit two (2) per household.

Farm animals. Animals other than household pets that shall be permitted to, where permitted, be kept and maintained for commercial production and sale and/or family food production, education or recreation. Farm animals are identified by these categories: large animals, e.g., sheep and goats; or small animals, e.g., rabbits, chinchillas, chickens, turkeys, pheasants, geese, ducks and pigeons.

Household pets. Dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, etc., for family use only (noncommercial) with cages, pens, etc.

My thinking was to say they are my "pet birds" for non commercial use that have a cage/pen that I like to call a coop...

The actual violation was cited as 20-10 which states the different types of code not what is or is not allowed and why. Even animal control said it was vague and couldnt point me closer.

Anyone who is motivated can find the specifics here:

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=10595&stateID=43&statename=Texas

I am currently trying to find out who best to speak to and animal control recommended the Animal shelter advisory committee or the city counsel. I may have someone who will babysit them for me so that may be a temporary solution.

I also would like some advise about what to say if I do get a meeting.

Dogs can be loud and when not tended to can be more smelly than chickens. I know I do not have to defend or explain myself to you all but my thinking is if they arnt bothering people than why does it matter? Dogs bother people (barking, growling, and possible biting) and they are allowed... (I am also a dog lover so don't get me wrong.) Sure a limit and some rules are expected, but just saying no cause we said so is ridiculous.

Thanks,
    Shane

2. Srawl

Srawl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
  3. MrsM

MrsM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    The sunshine state
    It would probably help if us BYC'rs knew which area you are looking to get started in.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  4. Srawl

Srawl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013

You have a great point.

I am in Copperas Cove, Tx. Near Fort Hood.

5. MrsM

MrsM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    The sunshine state
  6. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    Tell them these are your PTSD birds and that the Americans with Disabilities act classifies your chickens as service animals. Who knows....it might work?

I can't believe Copperas Cove has such restrictions. Do you live in the city limits or in an HOA neighborhood?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You might have better luck registering them as service animals.it comes with certificate. They will legally be service animals then.

9. Srawl

Srawl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Lol, that is actually my petition that I just started. Please spread the word.

I have emailed them, $80 per bird is a little expensive for my blood but if they can work with me I will definitely use that as a short term solution.

Thanks for all your help,

I may need a temporary home for them, just until I can keep them legally. I am willing to give whatever feed I have on hand and let the chicken sitter keep the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by