1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Busy Broodies!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Haviris, May 20, 2008.

1. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    So my mom had four broodies all sitting on the same nest, little red hen got it started, about 1-2 weeks later the white girls desided to join in, and somewhere in around 2-3 weeks the black hen didn't want to be left out!
    [​IMG]

Well they've been busy! The eggs were abit staggered because my mom didn't collect the ones being layed after the hen started setting. After 3 eggs hatched red left the nest with one (I think it may have fallen out of the nest and she got down to take care of it), so I gave her the other two and the black hen desided to leave to help with the babies. So I've been given the chicks to the new moms so that the white girls will continue to sit. Since there were 22 eggs I originally planned to give 5-6 chicks to each mom, but the black hen leaving messed things up. Anyway the two moms are now up to 10 chicks which seems plenty for the two to take care of, and there are now 7 more chicks under the white girls, with 5 eggs left to go! I don't guess letting them all sit on the same nest has hurt anything!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway thought I'd share with you all!

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Really cute:)

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    That's funny and cute [​IMG]