But my chickies want to play outside!!

mrsbos

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Greenacres, WA
I am the proud new mama of three 2 wk old Ameraucana chicks (we bought them Aug. 13th when they were 2 days old). We have taken them out of the brooder (located in my 4 year old's upstairs bedroom closet) the last 2 days to play outside in the sunny mid-80 degree temps. They LOVED being outside! The way they chased after bugs and pecked at everything, you'd think they were outdoor veterans. Their excitement at scoring a big fat cranefly, or in chasing another chick who got one was totally cute to watch. My whole family (me, hubby, 10 yr old son, 8 yr old daughter, and 4 year old son) enjoyed letting the chicks explore outside (supervised of course) for several hours yesterday and today...and they totally protested going back into the brooder. Bad news now....cold front moving through tomorrow and afternoon highs will only be in the upper 60s/low 70s now. As the chicks continue to grow, I can't imagine them being "cooped" up without getting to go outside at all now until they are a few weeks older and have more big bird feathers. And of course they poop WAY too much to be let to run around the house and peck at our carpet! What to do? I"m lowering their brooder temp down to 85 degrees now....but outdoor temps will be nowhere near that now. Will the chicks just have to tough it out in their "efficiency apartment" until they are ready for the outdoor coop (hopefully in about 4 more weeks).

-Michelle

Welcome to BYC. I dont let my chicks out until they are plenty covered with feathers and dont need a heat lamp anymore. Sounds like you are enjoying them!

I think only if they had mommas protection to be outside with momma hen, but if not then I too would keep them in where it is warm but that does not mean they cant have fun.
You can bring outside "IN"
tongue.png

What I did was get a plastic storage box, thats what I used for their brooder and fill it about a inch and 1/2 with dirt from the yard , then snag up some grass they love grass. You can add things like earth worms, spaghetti if you cant get earth worms boil noodles don't add salt just give them regular boiled noodles. Or you can get crickets they love crickets and let one have it and watch the games begin. They will love you for this. To clean up after I just put them in the tub ( editing this - not in tub for bath but to keep from pooping all over the house ) for a few min, run the brooder outside dump and wash clean then dry it out and put their regular bedding in. They love stuff that moves
smile.png
but what is even more fun is their first dust bath in the dirt.....its so funny to watch them.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom