But we NEED to take him home mommy!

6littlechickies

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Burton, OH
Took this kids on a little trip to Detroit and Toledo, to hit both zoo's. Were at the Detroit zoo today where they have three pairs of IB's free ranging. One uber friendly boy came to visit us at lunch. our 3 YO DS was absolutely insistant that he was one of ours and we must take him home!
gig.gif
Took us a while to explain that he wasn't ours but he lived at the zoo. We finally convinced him he had to stay but only after DS was able to feed him some treats, 'because he's so hungry mom! we need to get him some of our peafowl food!' I
love.gif
my kids!

31148_img_0272.jpg

31148_img_0273.jpg

Great story and pix. I've been saying for years I want to go back to zoo here. Maybe this year.

Imp

Last edited:
They had free roaming peacocks at the Portland (OR) Zoo for decades. One of the reasons I currently have them is because of my fond memories of seeing them as a child. However, a few years ago, one of the birds jumped up on a toddler's head (did not hurt him, just scared him a bit). The mother was irate, and threatened to sue the Zoo. They ended up taking an ad out on Craigslist for someone with bird experience and rural property to come and adopt them. No idea where they ended up, but it's sad that kids no longer get to experience these beautiful birds up close anymore.

thanks everyone! We had a great time at that zoo, first time at that particular one--i must say very nice layout!
thumbsup.gif
We went to the Toldeo zoo the next day and he kept looking for their peacocks!

For the rest of the visit tho DS kept asking where the peacock went, he was quite concerned about his well being.
tongue.png
We explained the zoo keepers take care of them and keep them safe...so of course in typical 3YO format, he found the first zookeeper he could and told him all about the peacock and that he needed to go get him! Poor kid just doesn't GET that they can free range!
lau.gif

fowler--that is so sad but unfortunately so typical of our society!
he.gif
At least they found good homes for them, although wonder why they didn't just build them an aviary? They have a few at our Cleveland Zoo but they are in an aviary not free ranging. Oh, how I'd love them to free range a couple!

Back
Top Bottom