But we NEED to take him home mommy!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by 6littlechickies, Jun 9, 2011.

1. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Took this kids on a little trip to Detroit and Toledo, to hit both zoo's. Were at the Detroit zoo today where they have three pairs of IB's free ranging. One uber friendly boy came to visit us at lunch. our 3 YO DS was absolutely insistant that he was one of ours and we must take him home! [​IMG] Took us a while to explain that he wasn't ours but he lived at the zoo. We finally convinced him he had to stay but only after DS was able to feed him some treats, 'because he's so hungry mom! we need to get him some of our peafowl food!' I [​IMG] my kids!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Great story and pix. I've been saying for years I want to go back to zoo here. Maybe this year.

Imp

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    Awww that is just too cute! Kids are so sweet at that age [​IMG]

4. prairiehen74369

prairiehen74369 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    north east oklahoma
    [​IMG] Sweet little boy. They are so much fun at that age.

5. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That's precious.

6. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    great pics that is one friendly pea.hope you have a blast at the zoo!

7. Fowler Hencock

Fowler Hencock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    They had free roaming peacocks at the Portland (OR) Zoo for decades. One of the reasons I currently have them is because of my fond memories of seeing them as a child. However, a few years ago, one of the birds jumped up on a toddler's head (did not hurt him, just scared him a bit). The mother was irate, and threatened to sue the Zoo. They ended up taking an ad out on Craigslist for someone with bird experience and rural property to come and adopt them. No idea where they ended up, but it's sad that kids no longer get to experience these beautiful birds up close anymore.

8. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    thanks everyone! We had a great time at that zoo, first time at that particular one--i must say very nice layout! [​IMG] We went to the Toldeo zoo the next day and he kept looking for their peacocks!

For the rest of the visit tho DS kept asking where the peacock went, he was quite concerned about his well being. [​IMG] We explained the zoo keepers take care of them and keep them safe...so of course in typical 3YO format, he found the first zookeeper he could and told him all about the peacock and that he needed to go get him! Poor kid just doesn't GET that they can free range! [​IMG]

fowler--that is so sad but unfortunately so typical of our society! [​IMG] At least they found good homes for them, although wonder why they didn't just build them an aviary? They have a few at our Cleveland Zoo but they are in an aviary not free ranging. Oh, how I'd love them to free range a couple!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by