Butcher called...pigs are ready for pickup

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hatchaholic, Dec 8, 2008.

1. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    We took our 3 pigs to butcher the week before Thanksgiving. They called today and said the meat was ready, well all but the the hams, bacon, and fatback. Dressed out, the weight was 592 lbs total. Individually, 205, 200, and 187. We guesstimated they weighed in around 250 when we took them.

I do have a question, though. How many coolers (100 qt, I think..) will it take to bring home all this meat? Having trouble visualizing that much meat!!

Thanks, ya'll!

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Those are really nice hanging weights. The hanging weight is roughly 2/3 the live weight, so they were a little bigger on the hoof than you're guessing.

You'd be hard pressed to fit one pig in those really huge Costco size coolers. My butcher boxes them for me in cardboard so I can rush them home. Remember the meat is all frozen, so it's like being on ice. Except it is ice itself, if you know what I mean.

Unless you're driving hours on end in hot weather, I would'nt worry about it.

3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks, greyfields!

Well, it's actually a 2 hour drive, one way, to the butcher. I think the weather is supposed to be in the 50s-60s that day.

We have 4 coolers lined up to use. I hope that's enough.... The bacon, fatback, and hams aren't ready yet, so I'm guessing we'll have enough room to haul.

I hate having to go that far, especially since we have a processor 10 minutes away from my house, but this one is USDA inspected. And, the one by my house doesn't do any kind of curing at all.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    That's just about how far I drive, too. 200 miles roundtrip to the nearest USDA facility which will deal with small producers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by