Butcher Day

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Keno, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Keno

Keno Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    I butchered two of my first cornish x roosters yesterday . My first since being a small boy. I used the brain sticking method I read about here and like that method better than what I remember as a child lopping off the heads and the flopping around the yard . I feel I did pretty well with a 1/2 hr. per bird processing time [​IMG] They each weighed 7 pounds after plucking and gutting . [​IMG] The breasts looked like a young turkey's !

This forum was a big help with information about the water temp and use of the rubber gloves for gripping feathers ! Worked very well !!

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Wow! congrats on doing it yourself! 7 pounds is an impressive weight. [​IMG]

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are getting it tomorrow! How old were your seven pounders?

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Congrats!!!! [​IMG] 1/2 hour is good!!!!!! Did you pluck by hand?

5. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    D Day might be tomorrow here too. It depends a lot on the weather. Not realy sure that I want to pluck birds in the rain! BUT if that will get us some rain I am more than willing to take one for the team!!! They look like little feathered basketballs, I can't wait to get one to the grill.

6. Keno

Keno Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    The birds were 7 weeks wednesday , I was going to let them go to 8 weeks but saw we were in for some warm weather and didnt want to chance heat stroke. I plucked by hand until I had some quills in the wings that wouldnt budge without needle nose pliers. The rubber gloves helped tremendously [​IMG]

I have three hens to do the same age but are only 7 pounds live weight and thought I would try and squeak by another week or so and see if they gain any more . If not they are next. Then there are 10 more ready in about 2-3 weeks [​IMG]

7. Keno

Keno Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    Butchered one of the hens this evening and had a 5.5 pound ready for freezer weight [​IMG] I had a store bought fryer in the freezer and for grins checked the weight , 5.09 pounds and $1.99 a pound !!

8. FL Peeps

FL Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2008
    [​IMG]

First time! Chopped the head then I skinned it (we don't eat the skin anyway). I was surprised how quick and easy it was... We're having a good dinner tonight! [​IMG]

9. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

Mine will be getting it soon. I'll be skinning mine too.

"Feathered basketballs" is a good analogy:lol:

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Nice work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by