1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Butcher for backyard flock between Amite, LA and Jackson, MS?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LoupGarou, Mar 24, 2009.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    I live in the I-55 area between these two cities. Does anyone know of someone who might be willing to butcher between 6 to 12 birds from a backyard flock who operates in that area? I'm not ready to butcher yet (my birds aren't even hatched yet!), but I'd like to start early to look for someone or adjust to the idea of doing it myself.

2. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    its not too bad...after a couple of stiff drinks...lol...but seriously, i had to kill my 3yr old dark brahma and another rir i had for about a year sat night. she was going kinda coo-coo and sleeping/pooing/sleeping in the nest box and smashing the eggs. its not too hard 4 me, but i was raised hunting and cleaning animals, and so is my 8yr old. i think all people should kill what they eat atleast once in their lives...if not always. its part of life. if ur a meat eater, reguardless of whether u kill the or not, ur still responsible for a part in the death of an animal if u consume it.
    shaun

3. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    Completely agreed, Shaun! I've caught and cleaned my own fish in the past and could easily do that again tomorrow. I've looked at the quail thread below and think I could easily do the deed with them (I even have plans to get some quail after these chicken eggs hatch, because of that thread). My major concern is doing a bad job of it and causing an animal to suffer because I'm not doing something right. I have to say that after seeing the sticky thread on "Killing, eviscerating, etc." I think that I can manage, but I'd feel more comfortable with someone coming out the first time and showing me the process while doing what needs to be done.

4. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    Bumping . . .

5. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea what resources are available in your area, but there are local farm orgs and localvore orgs here who offer workshops / classes in how to slaughter / dress chickens. That might just be a Vermont thing, though...

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I spent 18 mo near Amite in 05 for the Katrina relief effort. There are a bunch of great ole country folks that live in and around that area, if you just drive around some and ask around I bet you can find some super nice old timer who will do it for you in heartbeat.

AL
    I just love the folks down your way, my kinda people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by