butcher knife recommend???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by monster1, Nov 2, 2008.

1. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have had "old hickory" brand high carbon steel knives in the past and they were great for the kitchen. i wanted to get a good solid set of knives just for butchering poultry and the occasional hog. the old hickory knives are sold at walmart and are pretty cheap. i can get a 10" butcher knife, boner, skinner, and cleaver well under $50. but i have never used these knives outside the kitchen. how would they stand up? anyone use them? or would you recommend the dexter russells? they would be alot more money.

thanks

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I don't know about certain types of knives, but just make sure that you have a really good sharpening kit. I have cheapo knives, but itf they are sharpened routinely, they serve me well.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I have always been satisfied with chicago cutlery.. I like the thin straight 6" to 8" blade.. I think they are called boning knives..
    they work for everything I want to do to a chicken (or a deer).. I usually just keep a good steel handy to touch up the edge once in awhile..

.......jiminwisc.......

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    The only thing that really matters is that it is a knife you are comfortable with and that it is REALLY sharp.

5. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Ok this stuff is pricy but it is the best stuff I have ever used . CUTCO brand. Not sold in stores. Holds edges like crazy. THey make a kitchen shears that will cut backs and wings, and their hunting knives take care of the rest. My dad sold this stuff 50 years ago and I have the set he sold my grand parents. Lifetime guarentee . Its a lifetime purchase but worth every penny.

6. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
  7. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    when choosing a knife make sure you get one designed to be used for the purpose that u intend on using it for .it is alot better to have a knife for every need than to try to use one knife for every need.

8. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    oh yeah with knives you get what u pay for.

9. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I love my Henckels. I have had others, and these are still my favorite by far.
    Get a good block to sharpen them on. I sharpen after a few uses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by