Butchered First Chicken

Salt and Light

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Osteen, FL
After reading many posts, directions and instructions, I butchered my 1st chicken this AM.

All went well and here's a sort of "how I did it":

1. Used two nail in a stump to hold the bird secure then used and ax. Bird dropped into a wash tub, where he stayed for a minute. Then hung the bird upside down by his foot from the same nails allowing him to bleed.

2. Used the wax/water method for plucking but not sure if it's worth the cost. The feathers did NOT come off in a mass but removing them was really easy. Pin feathers was a different story.

3. Removed crop, which was empty, neck, feet, oil gland and then opened him up. Reached in an carefully eviscerated his guts/lungs. Removed anus and everything dropped into the washtub.

4. Into the refrigerator, awaiting to be cooked for Sunday dinner.

The x-rock was 7 weeks old an dressed out at 3lbs 11oz.

So, it's one down 14 to go. Next weekend I will tackle maybe 5 more.

I did my first a few weeks back as well, did 14 of them in 5 days. I switched from nails to spikes as the nails were too short to keep the bird secured. After I used the ax I held him upside down and let him bleed out into a "gut bucket" then scalded and hand picked. Wasn't too hard to pluck. Then I removed the feet, crop, and trimmed around the neck to losen up esophagus and trachea so I could pull it all out through the bottom when I took the viscera out. I think separating the crop was the toughest part, followed by trimming carefully around the anus to keep from spilling any excrement. I ended up cutting the whole tail off while he was on his back which took care of the oil gland. Then into ice water. I've heard two different stories on how long you should cool them before freezing, one says same day is OK, other says that makes meat tough so I did some both ways and marked them to see if it makes a difference. It's a good feeling to be able to produce your own meat.

Good for you! Its part of the job and it will get easier after you taste that first one.
I have to do 2 today too. First ones this year. Mine are Delaware roos that are 13 weeks today. They are not huge but they will do just fine thank you.

Congrats!! I've been working with Purple Chicken and Perfecty_Polish on processing. Last week we did four of my cornish x. It's definitely an experience and a valuable skill! Our way is more like Iowachicken's. The feathers really are rather easy with scalding. I haven't looked into the wax method yet. And what's this with the anus? We just cut off the oil gland, are you doing something more I should be aware of?

When I pulled out the guts, the large intestine was still attached to the anus. So, I took my sharp knife and cut around the anus. Everything then dropped into the bucket. I'm sure there are other ways but this is the way I learned to clean deer.

I don't think I'll be doing wax again.

Will someone give just a couple pointers on scalding? Temp and length of time.

Last edited:
I got to help with 12 cornish crosses today. My first time helping butcher, i didnt do the killing part, but everything else I did or helped with. Only 3 of us doing it and it didnt take overly long, though they are the pros at it, I was a newbie, but got pretty handy with the knife. I removed the butt also, intestine still attached. Their way and probably the way I will do it too. I was worried I would be squeamish, but did fine.
Still going to have someone else wack their heads off for me. I cant do that part without a lot of guilt and sadness. I just cant kill something myself. I can eat it though, lol.

I was worried I would be squeamish, but did fine.
Still going to have someone else wack their heads off for me. I cant do that part without a lot of guilt and sadness. I just cant kill something myself. I can eat it though, lol.

Glad to know I am not the only one who feels this way.
smile.png

I was thinking about the different ways that I've read to slaughter birds. Personally, I like chopping the head but there is quite a bit of mess. In retrospect, I liked the idea of the bird dropping into the washtub. He did flop around but he was contained in the tub. There was a lot of mess but it was also contained in the tub. After he was done bleeding, the feathers were covered in blood, but a quick washing in the sink took care of that. The feathers, guts, etc all went into the same tub. Now, I only did ONE bird so I'm not sure how this will work for several birds. I think I will kill 5 at time and then start processing them. That way, birds aren't thrashing around in other birds' guts.

Back
Top Bottom