Butchered my first bird EVER!

CricketYang

Songster
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Mason, MI
I used to help my mom pluck when I was little but that was all.. I've pretty much always been a city girl but we moved out here, had some land and my hubby wanted eggs.. Next thing I know:

63299_dsc00974.jpg

My city friends don't understand what happened. They say we're taking the Farmville thing too far. I tell them if the world ends, don't come over to my house!

The date was supposed to be the 9th but this guy got so big we did him early for practice. I'd say between 8-10 weeks for good sized birds. If you want something smaller (idk why) 6-8 weeks for a cornish hen-type size. Males usually grow faster than the females so that definitely makes a difference. I have a few week old cornish crosses in the brooder right now. They should be ready for my birthday in October
wee.gif

It wasn't traumatizing like I thought it'd be. I was a little nervous at first when I cut it's throat bc it was looking at me! I took a breath and then thanked it, told it that I wasn't going to make some lame dish out of it but something delicious so it wouldn't have to worry about turning into nuggets and then BOOM I did it. lol

Did you do it alone? I am just pretty sure I can't....not the first time. My DSS said he did not have a problem with it and I am going to let him soon. I am going to start removing the roosters from the run this week and put them in the chicken tractor.

However, mine are just about 20 weeks. I did read to put them in the fridge, after, for at least 24 hours before freezing. We have at least 10 to go to freezer camp.

I think after the first time I will be okay with helping or even doing the deed at some point. My DH is out of town working and said he would do it when he came back but I don't think we can wait. Changes are happening everyday in the atmosphere of the pen. The boys are starting to get rowdy. Then hens are just about laying age. So, have to do some thinning out pretty quick.

You have to have a sense of accomplishment to have 'processed' your first bird.

What did you make out of him? (lol, what a question!)

We didn't have a kill cone handy, so I had my husband hold its feet and wings. Everything afterwards was all me. I'm even cooking it by myself. I think I'm going to bake him, Thanksgiving style.

Good for you!!! We have been eating some of the unwanted roosters around here for about a year now. It was a hard thing to get used to for my wife and I. We just recently processed 24 meat chickens (freedom rangers) a few weeks ago. I know what you mean about the friends thing. My friends and family don't understand very well.
ETA: I used to put their heads between two nails on a stump and chop off their head with a machette and throw them away from me. Now I do pretty much the same exept that I tie their feet with a rope so that they are hanging upside down, and after their head is chopped off I just step back as they are slingin the blood around. I found that the meat doesnt get bruised up that way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom