Butchered our first chicken today!

emsevers

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Carlton, OR
We had one of our cornish x's that couldn't get around anymore so we decided to butcher it. We went the skinning route instead of plucking and I couldn't believe how easy it was. We don't eat the skin anyway so I think this is how we're going to do the rest of our birds too. I'm so excited that we were able to do this. It wasn't nearly as heart wrenching as I thought it would be. I'm very proud of DH and my self.

Congrats! I love the skin (bad girl!) but have been tempted to do this, too, because it looks so much easier. Plucking is no fun -- and it stinks, too....

From someone who is just getting started (haven't even ordered my chicks yet!) this is good to hear!

We are going to do both egg layers and one we will butcher, so hearing it wasn't horrible is encouraging! Great job.

thumbsup.gif
Congratulations on gaining this essential skill!
thumbsup.gif

It really adds to the enjoyment of the meal to know where your meat came from, the care it was given, the humane way it was processed, the consideration it was given.

Plucking really isn't such a bad chore if ever you wish to try it, especially if you have a nice big pot to agitate the bird in and nice hot water to open its pores.
Please invite us to your next fresh chicken dinner.
droolin.gif

After we finished with that bird we decided to do my extra quail roos that I wanted to get rid of. I am just amazed at how easy it was. I kept putting it off and not wanting to do it. I was going to give the roos away but now I'm really glad that I didn't. I think we might do a couple of my meat birds and leave the skin on just so we can roast them. We just decided that for the first one it would be easier to take the skin off.

Back
Top Bottom