Butchered price for turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Outhouser, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Outhouser

Outhouser Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Minford
    First time seller of farm-raised turkeys and I'm not sure how much to ask for them. Anyone here have experience with this? I'm the butcher too. Turkeys are roughly 20lb.

2. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Are they pastured? Fed organically? Heritage or broad breasted? How old? There are many factors. I know where I am, folks pay a LOT for pastured turkeys.

3. Outhouser

Mar 30, 2011
    Minford
    Double breasted bronze, roughly 17lb +/- butchered. They are pastured, non-organic feed but from a local feed store that makes their own. Just butchered one for myself for thanksgiving and it was amazing.

4. Outhouser

Mar 30, 2011
    Minford
    And they are 7 months old.

5. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

i sold mine for $4/lb and didn't have problems getting what i asked. mine were also pastured on non-organic feed that was specifically blended locally. i was only selling to friends and family though, so i don't know if that price would be competitive amongst other buyers.

6. dwest

dwest Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    Kintore Ontario Canada
    This past year I had some broad-breasted white and broad-breasted bronze. They were free range, non-organic. Sold them for $2.50/lb, primarily to cover my costs and give me free meat. Next year we'll be raising heritage breeds, free range non-organic and will be going for $5/lb. From the various heritage breed websites I've looked at selling table-ready birds this comes in well below the retail price of a heritage bird. The next closest I've seen in price is $5.25/lb by another small producer.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We are going to be selling our heritage, free-range, organically-fed turkeys for $4/lb this coming year. I expect we will sell out within a few months, we have already had two people give their deposits.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by