butchered turkeys this weekend

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chix4smokin, Sep 13, 2010.

1. chix4smokin

chix4smokin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    that was not the easiest thing!!! It wasn't anything like doing the cornish cross. The turkeys are so friendly and happy to see you. They weighed from 18-28lbs. I will definately be doing them again next year as they were actually fun to raise (besides d-day).

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Good for you. I'm actually a turkey killer, don't know what happened they just died.

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I always thought that turkeys were easier to dry pluck. Wing feathers need plyers and a firm pull. lol But they are harder to clean than a broiler. With that said, they taste soooo good. I had BBW, BBB, Spanish, ... all good. Conjrats:D

4. jdc

jdc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    NE Ohio
    How old were they and what breed?

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Haha, we had the same issue- they are so friendly! Not to mention that they bleed like a faucet, which is a little disturbing! So much good meat though.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

glad it went well, we eat alot of turkey. One thing we started doing was cutting them up so you don't have to eat it for days and days.

Steve

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    We cut the breast meat into strips. Then we fried them up. Very good with hot mustard dipping sauce.[​IMG]

8. jaku

I like to separate it into white and dark meat, then grind it. I've got 20 individual pounds of ground turkey breast, and another 12 of dark meat in my freezer.

9. chix4smokin

chix4smokin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    they were bb whites and bb bronze. I wanted to get some bronze to add a little color to the flock. Next year it will definately be all white!! The bronze have a black color pigment that stays under the skin and is a pain to clean up. I scalded them and took the feet off, then hand plucked the big wing feathers before putting in the plucker. Their legs are so long that they didn't roll very good in the plucker. Taking the feet off first made all the difference.

10. jaku

I found my plucker to be almost useless on most of my turkeys. I filleted all but two of them for that reason!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by