Butchering a duck question...he has to go and soon

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by porkchop48, Nov 17, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I have a mean duck that has to go.

I have pieced together a small flock of ducks over the past few months. All pekins. I ended up wth 4 males and 4 females, which seems to be a bad sex ratio.

One of the males has become incresingly mean and chases away quite a few of the other ducks ( males and females)

I think this weekend will be his last weekend here. I have no idea how old he is. I have no way of finding out how old he is either.

Would it be worth it to process it and cook him or would he be too tough?

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Why not give him away fro free on Craigslist?

3. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    If he is older I have heard to slow cook the bird. The other thing is to make sure you rest the meat. For additional tips I suggest asking the meat forum. I am still new to cooking duck and processing..... Good luck!

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:3with chicks is right. For any poultry it is better to let them rest under cold conditions at least overnight, a full 24 hours is better. their muscles are under stress due to the killing operation and they need that time for the muscles to relax before they are cooked or frozen. Unless you insist on the bird being served rare [like they do in resturants but with known young tender birds] Low and slow is the way to cook a tough old bird. With ducks this also renders out some of the fat that some people object to. If you want that nice brown crispy skin, finish the bird in a very hot oven [450-500F] for a short time at the end of cooking but watch it closely.

5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:3with chicks is right. For any poultry it is better to let them rest under cold conditions at least overnight, a full 24 hours is better. their muscles are under stress due to the killing operation and they need that time for the muscles to relax before they are cooked or frozen. Unless you insist on the bird being served rare [like they do in resturants but with known young tender birds] Low and slow is the way to cook a tough old bird. With ducks this also renders out some of the fat that some people object to. If you want that nice brown crispy skin, finish the bird in a very hot oven [450-500F] for a short time at the end of cooking but watch it closely.

2x. Of course you can always make sausage or soup with him too.

6. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I read on one of the other bird forums (maybe turkey thread?) to let the bird rest refrigerated for 3 days - it allows rigor to pass, which is part of what causes toughness. after 3 days, cook or freeze.

7. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    Thanks for the tips guys.

I hate dealing with craiglist and for one duck it is not even worth it. I would much rather butcher him and try it out.

Low and slow.

So if I slow roasted him with a good quick hot session at the end he might turn out ok?

I have never had duck sausage.. or any duck for that matter? Kinda interested to try that.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Just make sure to let it rest so that rigor passes. Older bird is supossed to be better low and slow or stewed.

9. UrbanFarmerGreg

UrbanFarmerGreg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I hear that cooking older birds in a pressure cooker does a nice job...

10. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:My opinion, cook it in the oven or a rotissere but don;t fret too much about resting etc, Duck is ALWAYS best rare. ANd it is tender if served so. If you are skittish about rare meat, then boil/steam and blanche it until tender, but if you want a piece of duck that is like a fine piece of fillet minion, then cook it rare, slice it thin and have a great bottle of wine and a cute woman nearby. It will be like a trip to Paris, without the obnoxious Parisians! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by