butchering age for delaware chickens

bump? does anyone know what age they should be butchered. I have some that are 18 weeks old but they are not that big. I thought they were suppose to grow fast? boy mine sure havent at all.

I wanted to create a new post to ask the same question. My concern is that I cannot wait too long for them to grow. I have to do in batches, but do not want to raise cornish x. Delaware's seem to be a good compromise. I would like to butcher them at 12 weeks (hens), but not sure what would be an average weight.
Also, what would you feed them if you want them only for meat? 22% protein? More, less?

Thanks!

Quote:
Search for threads on Freedom Rangers and Rainbow Rangers. These meat birds are an alternative to cornish X and are ready for harvest by week 12. They don't get as big as cornish X in the breast meat but they tend to be less prone to the problems associated with cornish X. The specific name of the ranger family is tied to the hatchery that sells them. JM Hatchery sells the freedom ranger and Meyer Hatchery sells the rainbow rangers. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Hello, Are Freedom Rangers and Rainbow Rangers a cross or is it possible to reproduce/hatch your own from the hatchery birds? Thanks

Quote:
You kind of hijacking this thread about Delaware's. Please open a new thread if you cannot find the answer already in this great forum.

Quote:
Search for threads on Freedom Rangers and Rainbow Rangers. These meat birds are an alternative to cornish X and are ready for harvest by week 12. They don't get as big as cornish X in the breast meat but they tend to be less prone to the problems associated with cornish X. The specific name of the ranger family is tied to the hatchery that sells them. JM Hatchery sells the freedom ranger and Meyer Hatchery sells the rainbow rangers. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks eds500. I already looked but had hard time to find any of those in my area. I am located in Sacramento CA. I just called some feed stores today and was not able to locate any Delaware's as well!! However, CX are all over the place and I can get them in any feed store. I hope I'll find something that would satisfy me. I have a small backyard and have to consider neighbors as well. So not a lot of noise allowed. :)

Oh sorry I should have said, Are Delawares, Freedom Rangers and Rainbow Rangers a cross or is it possible to reproduce/hatch your own from the hatchery birds? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom