1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Butchering costs

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by silkiechicken, May 6, 2007.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hi, I remember seeing some posts about costs of sending your birds to butcher but I don't remember where they are. How much does it cost for someone to butcher birds? What is the cost per bird? Or how much do you charge others to do the butchering?

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    There is a butcher near here that will butcher as roaster for 1.25/bird and 1.50 to dress or cut up chicken to your specifications.

3. marko15

marko15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Liberty, PA
  4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    In the Pacific Northwest, the processing prices are pretty much identical everywhere... not that I'm spoilt for choice, quite the opposite. But, I've noticed we pay a lot more.

Chickens:

0-5 lbs $3
    5-8 lbs $4
    8+ lbs $5

Ducks $7
    Geese $10
    Turkeys $8+

It adds nearly or over a buck per pound, so you definitely need to work that into your pricing.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Thanks, Good thing I butcher myself!

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Which is an great thing to do if you're just eating them yourself. We sell ours at a Farm Market, so we have some additional hoops to jump through. PM me if you plan to start selling your birds from home and I can brief you on the rules.

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    We are having ours butchered and dressed out for us in 2 weeks and he is charging us $2/bird - Minimum $50.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by