butchering for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Candice's Peeps, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Candice's Peeps

Candice's Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Northeast PA
    How long can I keep my turkeys in the fridge before Thanksgiving? I really want to enjoy a fresh turkey so I didn't want to freeze them. Or, if I butcher them now or early November and put in freezer are they still fresh? They free range daily. My broad breasted white is huge now. My midget whites and 2 others are getting to a decent size now too. I appreciate your thoughts on this!

2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    I put mine in an ice chest with ice water, lots of ice, and 1/2 cup of salt overnight or up to two days after processing. This lets them age a bit. The salt keeps water much colder and salt helps draw the blood out the meat. As for keeping in fridge, I would only hold 2-3 days max at 40 or below.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    I would butcher on Saturday, or Sunday before Thanksgiving, then let it rest until Wednesday, at which time, I'd put it in a salt water brine until it is ready for the oven! This will give you a fresh bird that is extremely moist, and tender. Roast it at about 250-275* for about 5-6 hours depending on the size.

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    That's what we do, process the weekend before and hold in the fridge until Thursday

5. junkprospector

junkprospector Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    Boise, ID
    ok - so
    - process Sunday
    - rest (in the fridge) Sunday thru Wednesday
    - Wednesday evening remove from fridge and place in ice water bath

sound correct?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by