butchering for Thanksgiving

Candice's Peeps

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Northeast PA
How long can I keep my turkeys in the fridge before Thanksgiving? I really want to enjoy a fresh turkey so I didn't want to freeze them. Or, if I butcher them now or early November and put in freezer are they still fresh? They free range daily. My broad breasted white is huge now. My midget whites and 2 others are getting to a decent size now too. I appreciate your thoughts on this!

I put mine in an ice chest with ice water, lots of ice, and 1/2 cup of salt overnight or up to two days after processing. This lets them age a bit. The salt keeps water much colder and salt helps draw the blood out the meat. As for keeping in fridge, I would only hold 2-3 days max at 40 or below.

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

How long can I keep my turkeys in the fridge before Thanksgiving? I really want to enjoy a fresh turkey so I didn't want to freeze them. Or, if I butcher them now or early November and put in freezer are they still fresh? They free range daily. My broad breasted white is huge now. My midget whites and 2 others are getting to a decent size now too. I appreciate your thoughts on this!

I would butcher on Saturday, or Sunday before Thanksgiving, then let it rest until Wednesday, at which time, I'd put it in a salt water brine until it is ready for the oven! This will give you a fresh bird that is extremely moist, and tender. Roast it at about 250-275* for about 5-6 hours depending on the size.

ok - so
- process Sunday
- rest (in the fridge) Sunday thru Wednesday
- Wednesday evening remove from fridge and place in ice water bath

sound correct?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom